TV 200 preamp info please V4 ?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Conker

TV 200 preamp info please V4 ?

Post by Conker » Sat May 12, 2012 1:56 pm

I have got some new preamp tubes I was advised to put a balanced 12ax7 into V4
Can someone please tell me where V4 is as you look from above .

I can obviously disregard the to 2 12at tubes

If I remember correct the preamps run 3 along the front and one above on the left. But I don`t know what is V1/2/3/4 ect.

Thanks in advance.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: TV 200 preamp info please V4 ?

Post by a.hun » Sat May 12, 2012 3:09 pm

I see you've already asked for a layout on the 'Tubes layout thread'. 8)

Where did you hear that you need a matched preamp valve? (Presumably for the PI slot)?

I can tell you is that you DON'T need a self balanced preamp valve in 99.99% of instrument amps where it simply doesn't guarantee a balanced anything at all. It is usually far better just to try a couple in that slot and stick with the one which SOUNDS better... Really!

Valve suppliers will try to convince you that you do need them and will try to sell those which happen to have two halves of similar performance for a few bucks extra. This is (in almost every case) just NOT NEEDED.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd be interested to hear if the TV200 actually is different in this or not, so can you say where you heard this?
It is certainly the first time I have heard any mention of it related to the TV200.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Conker

Post by Conker » Sat May 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Cheers Andy and as you say it was recommended to me by the valve supplier LOL Looks like I have been taken for a extra few pounds ;-(
Never mind live and learn.

sizzlingbadger
Orange Hero

Post by sizzlingbadger » Sat May 12, 2012 7:14 pm

If you email [email protected] they will usually send you a Tube Layout. I have done this several times. I don't think they mind you posting it on here either as its useful for most customers and is not a consumer safety risk.

(They have even sent me schematics but with the caveat that they are not to be shared or posted anywhere, which I have adhered to)

Conker

Post by Conker » Sun May 13, 2012 7:55 am

Thanks I shall do that today