Transformer hum increases with reverb

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

DRennick

Transformer hum increases with reverb

Post by DRennick » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi,

The output transformer on my Rockerverb 50 head brings in a huge amount of hum when I turn the reverb up. I'm pretty sure it's the output transformer because when I move the input side of the tank closer to it, it gets really loud!
Anyone had any similar problems? Could I use some shielding?

Thanks....

sizzlingbadger
Orange Hero

Re: Transformer hum increases with reverb

Post by sizzlingbadger » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:13 pm

You modified your tank with Blues Junior parts if I recall correctly ? Chances are the input impedance of the tank is no longer correct. Reverb tanks are not expensive, I would suggest you buy a replacement and make sure the model codes are correct so that the input and output impedance is correct. Accutronics tanks are nice, I don't like the Ruby tanks that Orange uses in some models, they sound more like hall reverbs.

DRennick

Post by DRennick » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:20 pm

sizzlingbadger wrote:You modified your tank with Blues Junior parts if I recall correctly ? Chances are the input impedance of the tank is no longer correct. Reverb tanks are not expensive, I would suggest you buy a replacement and make sure the model codes are correct so that the input and output impedance is correct.
I think you might be right since the input impedance is different on the blues junior tank. The only problem is that the accutronics tank that came with my RK50 is now discontinued. It's model code is 8AB2C1B. I'm in Ireland so I can only really order from the UK to avoid paying import taxes! There's a tank with model code 9AB2C1B available on a UK site. That should work right? I would just have to use my original springs and housing since they are different in physical size, but the impedance etc is the same.

DRennick

Post by DRennick » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:11 am

Dannyboy wrote: Could my reverb tank be faulty? My tank is a 3AB2C1B which is the same as yours (I think the first number is just the manufacturers/size reference) and I've had trouble finding a replacement. What site did you find that replacement tank?
It could be faulty, maybe a grounding issue in the tank but then again it's really hard to know. I found the tank replacement here at allparts.uk.com

http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/ ... -5374.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sizzlingbadger
Orange Hero

Post by sizzlingbadger » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:29 pm

DRennick wrote: I think you might be right since the input impedance is different on the blues junior tank. The only problem is that the accutronics tank that came with my RK50 is now discontinued. It's model code is 8AB2C1B. I'm in Ireland so I can only really order from the UK to avoid paying import taxes! There's a tank with model code 9AB2C1B available on a UK site. That should work right? I would just have to use my original springs and housing since they are different in physical size, but the impedance etc is the same.
That tank has 6 springs instead of 3 and is almost twice as long. You could try and transplant the parts you need but they are pretty delicate.

You can still get the 8AB2A1B model which is the same as your except the input is connected to ground. (the outer ring on the RCA connector is connected to the chassis) It may be easier to modify that by removing the wire or changing the plug/socket depending on how the ground connection is made.

I would give Orange UK a ring to and see if they can help.

DRennick

Post by DRennick » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:59 am

sizzlingbadger wrote: That tank has 6 springs instead of 3 and is almost twice as long.
From what the website says it only has 3 springs. I may give Orange UK a call though to see what they say.

sizzlingbadger
Orange Hero

Post by sizzlingbadger » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:20 pm

I was looking at the type 9 reverb tanks here http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DRennick

Post by DRennick » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:55 am

Must give it a try, thanks DannyBoy!

DRennick

Post by DRennick » Tue May 22, 2012 2:09 pm

I ordered a new reverb tank - model 8AB2A1B. All the impedance matches etc but the input on this tank is grounded apparently so I think I need to do a mod? I can't see any extra wires though on the new tank. Also the input/output sockets are different, they are the newer rca jacks so my old cables don't fully go in to them.
What to do??