More brightness and bite from my Thunderverb??

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: More brightness and bite from my Thunderverb??

Post by a.hun » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Dannyboy wrote:Hi all :)

I've had my Thunderverb 50 for a while now and apart from a few very minor issues I'm loving it! I love the thump and low mid warmth in both channels, the full on crunch, warm cleans, full bore distortion etc etc, not to mention how totally simple and intuitive it is to use :D .

Anyway, so far I have been very contented until recently when due to a back injury I couldnt carry my 'Verb to rehearsal, so I used a friends Marshall Vintage Modern 50 watt head. Great sounding amp, a bit tricky to dial in, sounded a bit flubby at times but once I'd got the balance of the controls sorted it sounded great - with that classic Marshall BITE! After I got home I plugged in my Thunderverb and remembered how much I love it and generally prefer it to most other amps, BUT, the one thing I missed was that top end bite I got from the Marshall.

Please dont jump on me by saying I'm trying to make my Orange sound like a Marshall :wink: ... I still love everything else about my Orange but I just wonder if there is a way to get a bit more of that bite and brightness out of just one of the channels?

I obviously know the Thunderverb very well now and I've tried pretty much every gain/EQ/speaker combination but I'm just yearning for that top end bite and it cant quite reach it :? I could use an eq pedal I know but I dont like using pedals really, just cant be bothered with them (apart from wah) so it would need to be a mod... brighter preamp valves? ...a change in the cathode resistors/caps of the first gain stages maybe? ....any suggestions?

Cheers 8)
Sounds to me like you might want a simple 'bright switch' mod. The classic Fender bright switch is simply one capacitor on the input volume control which you can switch in and out of circuit. Or you can fit it to one channel if you have an amp with separate inputs for different channels, or bright and normal inputs for the same channel. It doesn't have to be switchable to work.
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... h+#p443330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know exactly how I'd go about that with the T.verb, but I'm sure it could be made to work a treat.

I got a small 10W valve PA head years back which I use purely for guitar, and the only thing I've ever done to it was to fit two different value caps to two of the 3 input channels. Gives me near perfect tones for single coils through one, and humbuckers through the other. (Trial and error with a couple of different value capacitors. I call it my mini 'Marshall' head, and it is genuinely killer sounding both clean and dirty. Pretty good for 25 quid second hand plus a couple of dirt cheap caps.

Any decent tech should be able to help you out more with that. As hopefully can someone else here.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:53 am

Welcome! :D

Hope to hear how it goes then...

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Tamayo
Tiny Terror

Post by Tamayo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:56 pm

I did sort of the same thing with my Rockerverb mk1 combo. Replaced the stock cap on the clean channel with a NOS Silver Mica 120pf cap. Definitely brightened the tone up. For the better of course. :) I'm just curious as to how you found the location of the right cap? I was told by an online source and tried it. Glad it worked out for you though!
Jackson Newcastle Combo
Orange RV50C
00' TR-Black Heritage 535
11' Duesenberg Starplayer Special
01' G&L Legacy

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:32 am

Thats great guys. Glad you both managed to get what you wanted from your amps! 8)

Andy.