Rockerverb with one 8 ohm cab? Bad idea?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Rockerverb with one 8 ohm cab? Bad idea?

Post by fiaj » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi,
I think this is probably a stupid question, but can you use just one 8ohm output on a Rockerverb mkII?
I am assuming this amp has to be matched to 16 ohms no matter what, so the 8s are there purely for connecting to two cabs.
I need a 2x12 and can get a nice Framus 2x12 for £100, which is a bargain but the cab is 8ohms with two 16 ohm v30s so i can't rewire it to be a 16 ohm cab (or can i?). Someone is telling me that i'll be fine just connecting the an 8 ohm output "that's why they're there!" but it doesn't seem right and i don't want to cause any damage.
Could someone with good technical knowledge please clarify this for me?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Rockerverb with one 8 ohm cab? Bad idea?

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 am

It is perfectly fine to use one 8-ohm cab with the RV50. The outputs are labeled for total impedance, so it doesn't matter how you get to 8 ohms, whether it's by connecting two 16-ohm cabs or one 8-ohm cab. That Framus sounds like an insane deal - buy it now!

fiaj
Tiny Terror

Re: Rockerverb with one 8 ohm cab? Bad idea?

Post by fiaj » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Randy Bass wrote:It is perfectly fine to use one 8-ohm cab with the RV50. The outputs are labeled for total impedance, so it doesn't matter how you get to 8 ohms, whether it's by connecting two 16-ohm cabs or one 8-ohm cab. That Framus sounds like an insane deal - buy it now!
Thanks, i just downloaded the RV manual to check before i read this and it says that in the manual. Somewhere along the line i got confused... Like you said, the Framus cab is an insane deal. Even better that i can pay in chunks. It's pretty beaten up externally and has some odd rattling coming from the top of the cab but i'm sure i can fix it. The speakers sound beautiful, the cab has more clarity that my Orange and doesn't kick out so much bass, so great for different tones. I'm loving it.
If anybody out there fancies swapping my two 16ohm V30s with two 8ohm V30s let me know! It would be great to get this running at 16 so i could use it alone or with my 4x12 to make a bigger stack.