Output transformer for Orange Tiny Terror

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Robert Heath

Output transformer for Orange Tiny Terror

Post by Robert Heath » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:16 am

Hey there....need a new output transformer for my Tiny Terror....where do I find one (internet/mail-order: I live in New Zealand)?
I see that it is a BS31 and that actually all these were recalled by the chinese company that made them...
So maybe I want a compatible output transformer instead. Suggestions?

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Output transformer for Orange Tiny Terror

Post by jason41224 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:44 am

ouch. hope you're just looking to upgrade and aren't trying to replace a blown one! i'm afraid OTs are quite expensive.

i'm not sure of any places in your part of the world, but in the US, Mercury Magnetics does entire transformer kits/mods for the Tiny Terror. it's going to be pricey no matter what though, and it's made worse that you're in NZ.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:46 am

Robert Heath wrote:Hey there....need a new output transformer for my Tiny Terror....where do I find one (internet/mail-order: I live in New Zealand)?
I see that it is a BS31 and that actually all these were recalled by the chinese company that made them...
So maybe I want a compatible output transformer instead. Suggestions?
The BS31 transformer that was recalled was the primary transformer, not the output transformer: http://unsafeproducts.eu/2008/11/07/gui ... ny-terror/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should check your serial number to see if yours is one of the units recalled by Orange: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Robert Heath

Post by Robert Heath » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:52 pm

Unfortunately I am pretty sure the OT is shot. Turned it on without speaker plugged in - and took a couple of minutes to realise. It still works - but has definitely lost volume and distorts.

Robert Heath

Post by Robert Heath » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:57 pm

And why can't I just get in contact with the Chinese company or Orange to replace the transformer?....that seems a bit pile of poop. Mercury Magnetics looks nice - but seriously expensive...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Robert Heath wrote:Unfortunately I am pretty sure the OT is shot. Turned it on without speaker plugged in - and took a couple of minutes to realise. It still works - but has definitely lost volume and distorts.
Have you tried swapping out the power valves. If you are lucky you may have fried one of them instead of the OT. Hope so anyway.

I take it you tried playing through the amp when it wasn't hooked up to a speaker and wasn't on standby? That is indeed a good way to cook an OT, but that doesn't always happen. Make sure it isn't just the power valves first!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

nic53188

Post by nic53188 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:35 am

a.hun wrote:I take it you tried playing through the amp when it wasn't hooked up to a speaker and wasn't on standby? That is indeed a good way to cook an OT, but that doesn't always happen. Make sure it isn't just the power valves first!Andy.
Totally just did this...I had no idea. Bought a used Tiny for only $200 and it was listed as "for parts not working" by an electronics company on ebay. They stated they hadn't plugged in a guitar to it to check if it worked. I bought it with high hopes. Got it home, didn't work. Me and a guy at Guitar Center discovered there was something in the preamp section wrong because new preamp tubes still werent glowing. I took it apart to find that the molex connector between the last preamp tube and the amber bulb on the front wasn't making a good connection so when I pressed on it the tubes would glow. It was late at night and my wife was asleep. I passed sound at low volumes but I wanted to see what tubes did and how bright they glowed when you cranked it so I disconnected the speaker and had my way with the amp...then the BS31 popped...now nothing...soooo, I'm assuming I have a huge expense ahead of me? My wife is going to kill me. She BARELY let me have the amp at $200

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:33 pm

nic53188 wrote:
a.hun wrote:I take it you tried playing through the amp when it wasn't hooked up to a speaker and wasn't on standby? That is indeed a good way to cook an OT, but that doesn't always happen. Make sure it isn't just the power valves first!Andy.
Totally just did this...I had no idea. Bought a used Tiny for only $200 and it was listed as "for parts not working" by an electronics company on ebay. They stated they hadn't plugged in a guitar to it to check if it worked. I bought it with high hopes. Got it home, didn't work. Me and a guy at Guitar Center discovered there was something in the preamp section wrong because new preamp tubes still werent glowing. I took it apart to find that the molex connector between the last preamp tube and the amber bulb on the front wasn't making a good connection so when I pressed on it the tubes would glow. It was late at night and my wife was asleep. I passed sound at low volumes but I wanted to see what tubes did and how bright they glowed when you cranked it so I disconnected the speaker and had my way with the amp...then the BS31 popped...now nothing...soooo, I'm assuming I have a huge expense ahead of me? My wife is going to kill me. She BARELY let me have the amp at $200
Yeah you should never take the load off the amp (unplug the speaker) while "having your way" with the amp. Also, tubes are not going to glow brighter the louder you turn up the amp...maybe a little, but the difference would be negligible. I'm afraid you cooked your OT for no reason...which is a really sad day :(
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

Phlowen
Rocker

Post by Phlowen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:35 pm

Robert Heath wrote:And why can't I just get in contact with the Chinese company or Orange to replace the transformer?....that seems a bit pile of poop. Mercury Magnetics looks nice - but seriously expensive...
You could contact Mercury and see if they would sell you just the OT, not the whole kit. The kit also includes the PT, which is usually more than the OT, and I think the kit might include a choke as well. I'm not sure what the OT for the TT is, but I have an extra Dual Terror OT laying around after installing MM transformers into my TH30. If it's the same OT (which would surprise me), let me know and we could possibly work something out...
RV 50 MKI | TH30 | RV 50 MKIII
G&L Tele (ASAT Classic) | Musicman Bongo 5
Anesthesia - Post-Rock/Ambient band - anesthesiaproject.com

Man1ak
Orange Hero

Post by Man1ak » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:30 am

Phlowen wrote:If it's the same OT (which would surprise me), let me know and we could possibly work something out...
The transformer of the DT should be bigger to give 30W.

The OP could look into Hammond transformers. They have two 15W options: 1615 with 5K primary impedance and 1650E with 8K. The prices are very reasonable (~80 EUR) and the quality should be very good.