Volume Switching in AD30TC

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

guitarded

Post by guitarded » Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:03 am

I have an AD30TC, its like a year old, and recently the volume has been changing on its own, not steadily increasing or decreasing, its more of an abrupt switch, but recently it has not been projecting at near full volume, and then suddenly it will be loud as hell as the normal output returns to normal, and the extreme loudness is from my over-compensation for the initial lack of volume. WHY IS IT DOING THIS?? I have never owned a tube amp before, and I don't really know what to expect as tubes start to go out. What does this sound like the problem is? Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

"Take your ass to the barber shop, tell the barber that you're sick of looking like an Mr. Butt" -Wesley Willis
"Take your ass to the barber shop, tell the barber that you're sick of looking like an Mr. Butt" -Wesley Willis

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:46 pm

First of all, make sure that the tubes are all seated tightly in their sockets <i>when the amp is cold!</i> You never know with combos if the tubes are rattling around since they're so close to the speakers.

Otherwise, I would suspect tubes in general.... that's kind of weird and if it persists, I'd bring it to an amp tech you trust.

The thing to remember with tubes is that they <u>will</u> wear out eventually, and being preemptive is a good thing. I had a friend who used to religiously retube his Marshall Superleads once a year and he never had any of the reliability issues that some did with older Marshall heads- I bought them from him and I did the same thing- never ever had a problem. Billy