Two Dark Terrors in Stereo?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Re: Two Dark Terrors in Stereo?

Post by Gladmarr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Here's what I did for basically the same application.

1. Get a small signal transformer like this one http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bou ... veLP08Q%3d

2. Get two 1/4" jacks, one grounded Switchcraft style and one ungrounded Cliff style.

3. Get a small Hammond or Bud aluminum enclosure.

4. Wire one jack to one side of the transformer and the other jack to the other side of the transformer.

5. Hot glue the transformer to the inside of the box.

6. Seal it up and you've got an RF insulated 1:1 isolation transformer.

One caveat, if you set this too close to another transformer (i.e. on top of your amp) you will magnetically couple some noise into your setup, so you'd have to experiment with placement of this magic box once you're done. Then you'll have one of those awesome DIY boxes to brag about.

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Post by Dark Helmet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:
He could still run the 2nd amp the way he wanted if he used the wallplug version of the Hum-X I showed above :)

I have no idea how that thing works, so I am hesitant to endorse it... I was too lazy to look it all up.
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard
2018 Taylor 616CE

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:50 pm

Dark Helmet wrote:
Le Chat Noir wrote:
He could still run the 2nd amp the way he wanted if he used the wallplug version of the Hum-X I showed above :)

I have no idea how that thing works, so I am hesitant to endorse it... I was too lazy to look it all up.
I haven't used it myself as it only comes with a US plug version, but I have used Ebtech hum elimination products before and they have been fine. My last one got stolen and I bought a good ABY with built-in ground lift so I haven't needed to replace it. Everything I've read suggests these do the same job as lifting a ground on your amp's plug, only safer - though like I say, I can't testify to that personally!

I always use a wireless pack, which has the secondary benefit of separating you physically from your amp and preventing electrocution issues ;) I once saw a guy who was playing harmonica in a band we gigged with get a huge shock to his face from his harp mic which was plugged into a dodgy old Fender, it was not a pleasant sight. He actually had smoke coming off his hair!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

vinzo99

Post by vinzo99 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:36 am

I use an equivalent setup with a JCM800 head and a Peavey Ultraplus, sounds GREAT !
The main signal comes from the JCM preamp circuit, then effect send in mono goes to the mono input of delay pedal. This delay pedal is stereo so L and R outputs of the delay go to A and B inputs of a Lehle Little Dual pedal, from which L output goes to the JCM800 return, and R output goes to the Peavey return, using only the power amp section. Volumes on both heads are independant (controlled with the master volume knob on each head).

The Lehle Litel Dual is a great ABY box with ground lift, phase inversion and dedicated transformer => zero hum, allows you with 2 switches to choose which amp you run (left one, right one or both) => http://www.lehle.com/frameset.php?country=gb&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With this setup you can try different power amps/cabinets configurations but still get the main pre amp signal from your favorite amp, and run your effects in stereo. Very rich sound.

I was thinking of using the same setup with Dark Terror / Jim Root heads, but it looks like they don't have a master volume, which I don't really understand as soon as there is an effect loop the power amp must at the end of the signal. See the post : http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any one has inputs on this ?

Thanks