Here's a question for you:

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:25 am

I used to run two amps in tandem years ago with no problem (straight Orange OR80 halfstack and Marshall JTM-45 halfstack) sounded great...

Genius-boy here gets the brilliant idea that he's going to do it today with his more modern combos- Orange AD30TC (twin channel 30 watt combo) and Marshall 6101 (three, but using two channel 100 watt combo). Both are running out from stereo effect in rack (Rocktron Replifex).

Now for the problem:

In regular rhythm channel, the two amps together sound great- big, warm, and huge with the Marshall providing more clarity for the top strings. Switch to lead channels in both, and suddenly there is a huge discernable stereo field going on and an overall thinner sound. Nothing has changed in regards to effects or anything- and by themselves the two amps sounds perfectly normal when channel switched.

Is there some polarity/phase issue thing going on that I was never aware of? And how do I determine which amp it is? Not to mention, how on earth would I solve it? (besides not using two amps together, that is...)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:19 pm

Well, it's the Marshall that's the culprit. Apparently, the extra gain stage in the solo channels flips the phase or something. (That's about as technical as I can get...)

Nice to know it's not the Orange...