Speakon outputs Bass Terror 500/inputs SP410

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

The Baron

Speakon outputs Bass Terror 500/inputs SP410

Post by The Baron » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forum so please be gentle with me :)

Have just bought a Bass Terror 500 and SP410 cab and they sound awesome! Can't believe how loud such a small package could be!! My question is about the speakon outputs/inputs of the amp/cab - do they also accept 1/4" jacks or only speakon connectors? I know that you can get speakon/1/4" combo outputs on some amps & cabs but I'm not sure if these ones are :?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Speakon outputs Bass Terror 500/inputs SP410

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Welcome! The Terror Bass 500 is Speakon-only for the outputs (or at least mine was). The reason is that regular 1/4" jacks cannot properly handle that much power. The cabs might/should accept 1/4" too, but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't since they were specifically built for the Terror Bass head. I had a 1/4"-to-Speakon cable made so that I could use my TB500 with other cabs though.

doomed

Post by doomed » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Amp is definitely still speakon out only, my cab (sp212) has combo jacks fitted, if you look very closely around the edge of the jack they have combo printed on them, it isn't that easy to see it from a distance though. :) Let us know how it sounds when you turn it up (right up :wink: )

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:04 am

Hi The Baron. Welcome.

You are right that you can get combination Speakon / jack sockets.
http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/204_ ... tlist.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not having the amp or cab myself I'll just have to go with the others on what is actually fitted, but I would say that with amps this powerful Speakons are a good idea. They give a much larger electrical contact area so are way better than jacks for high power / current situations. Also being locking there is a much smaller chance of them coming loose in use. I'd just invest in the right (Speakon to Speakon) cables if I were you.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

The Baron

Post by The Baron » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Thanks everyone for your help :D

As for turning it up, I've never got past 3 out of 10 without deafening the rest of the band!