Moving to an Orange bass setup...

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

liam

Moving to an Orange bass setup...

Post by liam » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 am

Hey guys, first time poster!

I've had a great time reading through the posts here, and I'm very pleased to be a part of the Orange community!

I am moving towards buying an Orange bass set up for myself but am stuck with what to go for! My original plan was for a Bass Terror 500 plus the SP212 cab. I play in a Grungey-Riffy Rock band, and am wondering if this set up will be loud enough to cope with a band practice consisting of myself, a heavy hitting drummer, and a guitarist using a Marshall JCM through a 4x12 (with nothing but vocals running through the PA).

If the answer transpires to be yes, well then that big shiny Buy button will surely be clicked! If not, what should I go for? TB500 plus SP410? TB1000 plus SP410? I want to keep the rig portable, but as I'm sure you all know, moving up to the SP410 starts to get a little pricey....

Thanks for taking the time to read, hopefully some of you beautiful people who already own set-ups similar to this will be able to help me out.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Moving to an Orange bass setup...

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Welcome! I think the TB500 and SP212 would be a great portable rig as long as you like some grit. The TB500 is certainly not the cleanest bass amp around, but it does sound great and it's got plenty of volume for practice and really for any gig where you wouldn't run through the PA anyways. The only potential drawback to the SP212 is that you only hear the cone/surface area of one speaker with the isobaric design, so it might seem slightly less present than a conventional 2x12 cab. From what I have heard, it is comparable to using a 1x15 cab in terms of sound/output. I played a TB500 through an OBC-115 cab for a couple of months and really liked that setup, though I would have bought the SP212 if it was available at the time I got the 115. I say go for it!

liam

Post by liam » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks so much for the response! I have been reading a lot about the isobaric design and reviews about all the cabs, and am very keen on the 212, just don't really want to splash the extra cash for the 410. My only concern was volume! No problem with grit either, and any time I need a cleaner sound, I won't need as much volume. Very close to clicking that buy button now....

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:40 pm

I have the impression too that the SP212 is the pick of the new bunch of cabs. Also that sonically it is generally comparable with more conventional 2x12 bass cabs. The amount of low end especially with those isobaric designs is apparently pretty impressive for such compact cabs. I was thinking of picking one up myself but ended up going for a slightly lighter (20Kg) high end traditional 2x12.

I've no doubt at all that with the TB it will be more than enough for your rehearsals, and probably for many gigs too. Adding another similar cab later would make that 'probably' a 'definitely'!

I'd say go for it!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

liam

Post by liam » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Bunch of legends on this forum I tells ya! Thinking of the TB500 plus SP212 now, then maybe add a 210 later.

doomed

Post by doomed » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Don't worry about anything just buy it, it will do what you want it to, if you want to thicken it out in the future (& you may not) get a good 1x15 to go with it. :wink:

bass-man-austin

Post by bass-man-austin » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Not familiar with the Orange cab, but I run a TB500 with MarkBass 2-10 and 1-15 ... indoor or outdoor I have never had master volume above 4 or 5 ... and our guitar player has similar Marshall rig to yours ...

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:47 am

bass-man-austin wrote:Not familiar with the Orange cab, but I run a TB500 with MarkBass 2-10 and 1-15 ... indoor or outdoor I have never had master volume above 4 or 5 ... and our guitar player has similar Marshall rig to yours ...
Good colour scheme that man! :mrgreen:

Got pics for us?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!