TH30 Combo - FX Loop problem

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Bisonkills

TH30 Combo - FX Loop problem

Post by Bisonkills » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi there,

My friend just bought an Orange TH30 combo, and we've both incredibly impressed by tones. Lovely amp.

However, when running stomp boxes in the FX Loop, switching them on a off creates a loud 'POP' sound. This occurs with my Dr. Scientist Reverb, Sunny Day Delay, and his Marshall echohead.

I was considering getting the TH30 head, but if this is an issue across the whole line, it becomes pretty unusable for me. Anyone got any info? If other TH30 owers could chime in, that would be great. Any suggestions as to how to counter this?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: TH30 Combo - FX Loop problem

Post by bclaire » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:53 pm

I would run pedals in front of the amp myself not through an effects loop...

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 pm

It's possible that the Effects Loop driver tube is acting up. If you can pop another 12AU7 (or whatever it has) in there, you might sort it out pretty quickly. Otherwise, it would seem like an issue requiring a warranty return.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:21 am

are you sure that this isn't your pedals? pedals often do tend to do that, especially if you're feeding a super hot signal into them (i.e. if you have the gain way up and you're running your pedals in the loop)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:07 pm

jason41224 wrote:are you sure that this isn't your pedals? pedals often do tend to do that, especially if you're feeding a super hot signal into them (i.e. if you have the gain way up and you're running your pedals in the loop)
A big +1 on that.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:30 pm

My first guess is that this is caused by a buildup of static electricity in the bypass part of your pedals. As they are all true bypass, this tends to be a problem on some specific amp designs. Some amps have the exact same problem when the pedals are in front of the amp, while others may only have this problem with pedals in the FX-loop.

Try putting a buffered bypass pedal in the loop, and then try adding ONE true bypass pedal after it. Try it in front of the buffer also. If any of these combinations help, add the rest of your pedals one-by-one.

Bisonkills

Post by Bisonkills » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:48 pm

Thanks so much guys, all useful feedback.

I've had no issues with these pedals with other amps, either up front, or in an FX loop. Just heard back from Orange customer support and they suspect an issue with the amp itself, as they've tested numerous stomp boxes in the loop with no audible problems.

I'm going try switching the FX loop valve tonight to see if that helps. Some FX I can't run up front, because I want to use the amps distortion channel with delays/reverbs etc, and I'd never run modulation effects before distortion in the signal chain, it just doesn't make for nice results.

triskelion75

Post by triskelion75 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:25 pm

hey.. i have the same problem with my th30 head..popping sound everytime i on the pedal.( reverb & delay pedal )..just want to asked if you find any solution with this issue.. tnks

NeoRamza

Post by NeoRamza » Wed May 31, 2017 6:51 pm

I have the same problem with my th30 head. Any news about that? Thanks.