Dual Terror with 2 PPC212OB Cabinets?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

ardilla

Dual Terror with 2 PPC212OB Cabinets?

Post by ardilla » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:53 am

Hi all,

This is my first post here but I've been reading for a while. I've got a Dual Terror and I'm looking for a cab. I have an opportunity to buy 2 PPC212OB pretty cheap and figured I'd ask before I bought them. I mostly play in a 12x12 room but I'm entertaining the idea of playing out again. I mostly play 80's rock but I enjoy playing a little bit of everything as well.

What are your opinions on a Dual Terror stacked on top of the 2 PC212 Open Backs? Also, could I close one of the cabinets or both if necessary? Any drawbacks to closing the PPC212OB'S?

Thanks in advance for the help!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Dual Terror with 2 PPC212OB Cabinets?

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:13 am

It should sound great... If it was me I'd go with one open and one closed. Closed back tend to be punchier and more directional. Open back spreads the sound around more...

Welcome to the forum!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:20 am

I think that would be an awesome setup. You could use one cab for practice/smaller gigs and bring the second cab along if you play a bigger (and/or unmiked) show. It would give you a fuller sound if you convert one cab to closed-back. The open-back cab could be on the bottom to fill the stage and the closed-back cab on top pointed towards your ears for monitoring and tighter bass response. It would be hard to improve on that setup with the Dual Terror.

ardilla

Post by ardilla » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:39 am

Thanks for the input so far, sounds like it would be a good idea then. Is it just a matter of replacing the back split panels with a full panel to close it? Or is it better to make a piece to go in the gap?

Also, do you all think I can still use the full stack with the lower wattage settings (7w & 15w) and still get good sound in my 12x12 room (i.e. at lower volumes where the wife won't divorce me)?

Thanks!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:51 am

It depends on whether you are concerned with adding four new screwholes, but it would be easier just to add a fill piece. Of course, if you have the tools and skills to make a new one-piece back panel, it would look a bit more professional. It will also be hard to get the exact tolex (Vynide) that Orange uses. Mojotone has the closest I've seen, but I don't think it's exact (they actually have three types of orange tolex, so make sure to compare them).

For bedroom use, I would plan on only using the closed-back cab (pointed at your head if possible) to cut down on volume. More speakers = more volume.

ardilla

Post by ardilla » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:23 am

I can definitely make a new back for it. I've got a bridgeport mill in the garage. I'll have to secure some tolex to make it look right. I saw a forum member that makes boxes for the DT's and TT's. Maybe he can hook me up with some of the tolex he uses (I'm planning on getting a box from him if he still makes them).

I also thought of maybe putting some threaded inserts into the existing slats and making a removable panel to convert it back and forth between open and closed. How much do I have to seal it in the back?

Thanks for the pointers.

By the way, is it allowed to share if an online store is having a sale on Orange equipment? Don't want to break the rules on my first thread...

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:52 pm

You don't really need to make sure that the cab is sealed tightly or anything. Any gaps would have the ability to allow some air pressure out the back of the cab, but the audible difference would be minimal as long as the gaps are small (around 1/8" or less).

You can link to good deals on Orange gear as long as you are not the seller and you don't specifically mention the street price if it is a current production model.

ardilla

Post by ardilla » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:30 am

Okay, so here it goes. I don't work for them and will not make anything off of this, but it might save somebody some money... Music123 has a sale on some Orange gear. Check it out:

Dual Terror Head:
http://www.music123.com/Guitars/Guitar- ... 000000.sku" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tiny Terror Combo:
http://www.music123.com/Guitars/Guitar- ... 000000.sku" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PPC212OB:
http://www.music123.com/Guitars/Guitar- ... 386000.sku" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also have a sale on some other stuff like the Rockoverb 100W head, the PPC212CB and more. Seems like a great deal to me. Some of the the things are up to $300 off and with free shipping!

As far as the cab, I'll make a piece that closes up the box and that way I can switch back and forth between open and closed. Thanks for the help!!!

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:56 am

Those are insanely good prices! It might get more eyeballs on it if you started a thread in the Community Discussion section. You'll definitely get people gassin' for more Orange gear :D .

ardilla

Post by ardilla » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:59 am

I'll do that then. Love to see people save money, especially me!

Ricko

Post by Ricko » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:32 am

Hey Man, how did you go? hows the sound?

I currently own a DT and a 212OB but I am really thinking about getting a second 212. I definetly want it closed back so i can have one of each but i cant decided if i should
1. Buy a 212CB (which is a bit wider..) or
2. Buy a 212OB and close it up myself?

Thoughts?

ardilla

Post by ardilla » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:25 pm

Ricko wrote:Hey Man, how did you go? hows the sound?

I currently own a DT and a 212OB but I am really thinking about getting a second 212. I definetly want it closed back so i can have one of each but i cant decided if i should
1. Buy a 212CB (which is a bit wider..) or
2. Buy a 212OB and close it up myself?

Thoughts?
Hi Ricko,

I ended up buying 2 of the 212OB's. I haven't gotten them yet because they were on back order. They've been shipped and are supposed to arrive on Monday. Unfortunately I'm out of town and won't be able to play with them until the 4th of Feb (talk about torture!!!). I'll be happy to report back my results once I get them. I'll be trying them both open, both closed and one open/one closed.

In terms of comparisons between the OB's and the factory CB's, some of the other guys might be able to give you some better information than what i can.

Ricko

Post by Ricko » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:54 am

ardilla
Have you been able to test the different setups?

Cheers!

ardilla

Post by ardilla » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Ricko wrote:ardilla
Have you been able to test the different setups?

Cheers!
Still haven't made it home yet. Should be able to give them a test ride sometime this weekend though...

Lespaulboy1

Post by Lespaulboy1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:05 pm

Whats up :D

So how did it sound? I have been playing threw a 4x12 cab thats closed back. But its to much for the bedroom and I was thinking of getting a 2x12 cab. :D