Dual Terror with 2 PPC212OB Cabinets?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

ardilla

Re: Dual Terror with 2 PPC212OB Cabinets?

Post by ardilla » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 am

Lespaulboy1 wrote:Whats up :D

So how did it sound? I have been playing threw a 4x12 cab thats closed back. But its to much for the bedroom and I was thinking of getting a 2x12 cab. :D
First, my apologies for waiting so long to answer. Unfortunately, life and work sometimes gets in the way...

Both the Dual Terror and the TH30 sound great with the double PC212OB's. Keeping in mind that I'm comparing it to an HT-5 mini stack with 10" speakers, the PC212's sound really bassy. Very full sound in both clean and dirty channels. With a single cabinet it's just as bassy but not as loud.

I've finally cut 2 boards to close up the cabinets and should be giving it a test drive this weekend. I'll report back on the results (which will have to be very subjective...) once I've had the chance to blast through them.

JimiGuy7

Post by JimiGuy7 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:41 pm

So how did it sound? I want to get a PPC212OB for my setup, not because it is open back but because it is a cheaper 212 cab. Will there be a problem with me closing the back on it? Will it affect anything? Is the PPC212OB a relatively thin cab or is it just as good as every other Orange cab I've seen?
Gibson Les Paul '58 VOS, Gibson Explorer 76 re-issue, Orange TT 112 combo, Orange TH30 head, Peavey 5150 combo, and a pile of overdrive pedals.

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Old thread, but hey, I could chip in for you.

I have 2x PPC212OBs in a stack, and I have closed both cabs. Used proper 18mm plywood and orange tolex, and I even used the old screw holes in the cab. No need to make new ones, so the procedure is completely reversible if you change your mind or want to sell.

Sound is great, a little tighter in the bottom than the open one. Very happy with the result. The open back cab is 8cm less deep than the closed back, and also a bit narrower. So it weighs a lot less and is easier to haul around. But build quality and plywood thickness is the same awesomeness as the closed back cab. :)

StoneBandit

Post by StoneBandit » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:43 am

Sounds like the direction, I'll be heading in.
Thanks for making it a whole lot easier to make up
the final decision.

Been using a Tiny Terror, but just want some more headroom.
So I am without a valve amp at the moment.

Such a bad feeling, it's like I want my TT back.

But I was selling it anyway to upgrade to either the
AD 30 or the Dual Terror.

Sounds like the Dual Terror with open and closed 2x12 cabs
is an awesome way to go.

Anyway Hi there all. A long time Orange user here from Australia.

Keep on rockin'