Tiny Terror's weird noises

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

patrickisbusy

Tiny Terror's weird noises

Post by patrickisbusy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:03 am

I bought a used Tiny Terror recently from a Long and Mcquade in Canada. It worked perfectly fine for a couple days, but then, randomly it would start making a hissing sound that increased in volume, but then would trail off. Everytime I switched the standby/7/15 switch to a different position, the hissing would start up again, but then trail off. If I played after the hissing died off, my volume and gain would cut by quite a bit.

I had planned to retube anyways, as the stock tubes were still in there and I didn't have a whole lot of idea of exactly how old it was. So I replaced it with the only spares I had laying around (Mesa's). The problem appeared to have went away, but after a few more days, it started coming back again. At first, my volume would cut slightly, I'd switch it back into standby, I would hear a little bit of a hiss, then flick it back to 7 or 15, and all would be fine. However, as the days have gone by, it has done it more frequently, and now it will start hissing again for a bit before it stops, and my volume and gain are cut quite a bit again.

Are there any ideas to exactly what is going on?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Tiny Terror's weird noises

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:12 am

Which tubes did you replace? Either power or preamp tubes can make crackling or hissing noises when they are failing. The preamp tubes can be replaced one at a time. You might get some spares for backup and swap the stock ones individually to find the suspect tube.

patrickisbusy

Post by patrickisbusy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:15 am

Randy Bass wrote:Which tubes did you replace? Either power or preamp tubes can make crackling or hissing noises when they are failing. The preamp tubes can be replaced one at a time. You might get some spares for backup and swap the stock ones individually to find the suspect tube.
I replaced both power tubes and both preamp tubes.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:17 am

Does L&M have any kind of warranty on used amps? If not, you might need to have it checked out on your own dime. Aside from trying different cables, guitars, tubes, etc., there isn't much else to troubleshoot without some technical knowledge.

If you happen to have really bad luck, one of the replacement tubes could conceivably have a problem as well, though that's probably not the case. Maybe someone else will come along with some other suggestions. Good luck.

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:04 am

which L&M? if you're in my area, i've got some tubes i know work great so you could switch'em out. I'm having weird issues with mine too....VERY transient noises that come and go. knowledge on here says that it might be resistors/cap's failing...and it's sort of similar to your noise.

I think L&M sometimes does a 30 day thing, but don't quote me on it. either way, if you can, maybe just bring it back to them and tell them what's wrong? otherwise, i'd find a tech you know and have him look at it.

btw - if you ARE in ottawa, pm me and we'll sort it out. it's a long shot, but ken's just down the road from here, and there's another dude in kingston. you never know!
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Baconator

Post by Baconator » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Nork wrote:which L&M? if you're in my area, i've got some tubes i know work great so you could switch'em out. I'm having weird issues with mine too....VERY transient noises that come and go. knowledge on here says that it might be resistors/cap's failing...and it's sort of similar to your noise.

I think L&M sometimes does a 30 day thing, but don't quote me on it. either way, if you can, maybe just bring it back to them and tell them what's wrong? otherwise, i'd find a tech you know and have him look at it.

btw - if you ARE in ottawa, pm me and we'll sort it out. it's a long shot, but ken's just down the road from here, and there's another dude in kingston. you never know!
I had a similar issue with my TT and since trying different tubes didn't seem to solve the problem I assumed it was something else. After dealing with it for a long time I finally took my amp to Bill Joslin in Kingston (via the Kingston Guitar Shop). He found both of the 12ax7's to have issues and also cleaned up some solder joints. For the cost of one hour of labour and two new 12ax7s I have a great sounding amp again with no issues. If you have a reliable tech available then take the amp in to get it checked out - it might not be that expensive and you'll be happy to have the amp in top working order. Of course if you can still return the amp it would be better to do that - used TT's can be found pretty cheap, but then you're open to more hidden problems.

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:33 pm

Baconator wrote: I had a similar issue with my TT and since trying different tubes didn't seem to solve the problem I assumed it was something else. After dealing with it for a long time I finally took my amp to Bill Joslin in Kingston (via the Kingston Guitar Shop). He found both of the 12ax7's to have issues and also cleaned up some solder joints. For the cost of one hour of labour and two new 12ax7s I have a great sounding amp again with no issues. If you have a reliable tech available then take the amp in to get it checked out - it might not be that expensive and you'll be happy to have the amp in top working order. Of course if you can still return the amp it would be better to do that - used TT's can be found pretty cheap, but then you're open to more hidden problems.
hmmmmmm. i might take it to kingston...there's a good guy @ spaceman up here from all told, but i've never worked with him. the issues is right now it's incredibly transient, which would be very difficult to replicate so i'm afraid i'd end up getting it up back with him saying "it's fine, i don't know what you're talking about".

kingston? do you jam with ken - he's in brockville...apparently it's worth it!
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:20 am

Intermittant problems can be a bitch. It sounds like either a HV connection or a resistor. It needs a good going over by a tech. Probably why it was traded in anyway...
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;