5U4GB in place of 5AR4/GZ34 in AD30H?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Pneumonic

5U4GB in place of 5AR4/GZ34 in AD30H?

Post by Pneumonic » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:36 am

I have a single channel AD30 head that I was toying with the idea of putting a NOS RCA 5U4GB into believing that doing so would give more sag.

Anyone around these parts ever done so? Is the power tranny in the 30 durable enough to handle the 5U4GB?

Thanks

- Kerry

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: 5U4GB in place of 5AR4/GZ34 in AD30H?

Post by a.hun » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:19 am

Pneumonic wrote:I have a single channel AD30 head that I was toying with the idea of putting a NOS RCA 5U4GB into believing that doing so would give more sag.

Anyone around these parts ever done so? Is the power tranny in the 30 durable enough to handle the 5U4GB?

Thanks

- Kerry
Hi Kerry.

Can't say for sure but I think one problem might be that the heater filament current is rather higher with the 5U4. It needs 3A instead of 2A. That is quite a difference and I'm not sure if the power supply would be up to it or not.

There may be other issues too. Best to get advice from Orange themselves I'd say. If you got Ade Emsley at Orange UK on the phone I'm sure he'd tell you if it was viable or not.

You are finding too little sag with the AD30 though??? :o

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Pneumonic

Post by Pneumonic » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:51 pm

Thanks for your input, Andy. BTW. No problems with sag or anything on the AD30 for that matter. I love the tone of this thing like you wouldn't believe. Just curious to hear any change. Plus I've got a bunch of these great NOS RCA's that I am dying to try out!

I sent off a query to Orange UK and got a response in lightening quick fashion. Talk about great service. Wow! Not only does Orange gear sound great but this company gets it when it comes to keeping their customers happy. Refreshing in today's "serviceless" society!

Anyhow, here is what they told me in case anyone else is considering such a swap. In my case, my amp is good to go on the swap. Will be interesting to hear any differences or changes.
Thanks for your email.

Swapping over those tubes is do-able depending on the age of your amp.
If it's pre 2002 then it may draw too much current and damage your head. If
it's after 2002 you're well away and it'll be no problem.

The last 4 digits on your serial number should date the amp for you,
eg(1010) would mean October 2010.

Give me a shout if you need any further information.

All the best,

Neil

Orange Music Electronic Co. Ltd
108 RIPON WAY. BOREHAMWOOD. HERTFORDSHIRE. WD6 2JA UK

Tel: +44 (0) 208 905 2828 | Fax: +44 (0) 208 905 2868

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:21 pm

Pneumonic wrote:Thanks for your input, Andy. BTW. No problems with sag or anything on the AD30 for that matter. I love the tone of this thing like you wouldn't believe. Just curious to hear any change. Plus I've got a bunch of these great NOS RCA's that I am dying to try out!

I sent off a query to Orange UK and got a response in lightening quick fashion. Talk about great service. Wow! Not only does Orange gear sound great but this company gets it when it comes to keeping their customers happy. Refreshing in today's "serviceless" society!

Anyhow, here is what they told me in case anyone else is considering such a swap. In my case, my amp is good to go on the swap. Will be interesting to hear any differences or changes.
Thanks for your email.

All the best,

Neil

Wow, someone actually had the computer switched on at Orange today... :wink:

Glad you got your answer then. Let us know what you find with your swapping.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

thehoj

Post by thehoj » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:52 pm

I'd be very interested to hear how this changes the amp for you too.
'09 Am Std Tele > Korg PB > Klon Clone > Ibanez PH7 > AD30HTC + 212 THD style cab (w/ WGS vet30 + et65)

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Pneumonic wrote: I sent off a query to Orange UK and got a response in lightening quick fashion. Talk about great service. Wow! Not only does Orange gear sound great but this company gets it when it comes to keeping their customers happy. Refreshing in today's "serviceless" society!

Thanks for your email.

All the best,

Neil

Interesting that the 2002 date seems to correspond with the time when manufacturing was moved from the Trace Elliot facility:
viewtopic.php?f=2&p=6674&hilit=trace+elliot#p6674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Daves
Tiny Terror

Post by Daves » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Isn't that also when Orange upgraded the output transformers? Perhaps the new ones were more robust. There are posts by Ade Emsley on here somewhere about that stuff. Might be worth a search of Ade's posts

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:28 pm

Daves wrote:Isn't that also when Orange upgraded the output transformers? Perhaps the new ones were more robust. There are posts by Ade Emsley on here somewhere about that stuff. Might be worth a search of Ade's posts
Not sure when the OT's were upgraded but this sounds more like it has to do with the primary transformer.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001