Rockerverb 50 Effects Loop Problem!

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

satchmaster33

Rockerverb 50 Effects Loop Problem!

Post by satchmaster33 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:39 am

Whenever I plug a 1/4 inch guitar cable into the send and the return... it cuts the signal almost in half! Yet when I plug straight into the head with my guitar, using no effects whatsoever.... the signal is as strong as can be. It's weird though, because if I have a cable in both the send and return and I take one of them out... I get a little more signal back. And then if I take the other one out as well I am back to full signal. Any ideas how to compensate for this problem? I've heard the Mk II series has corrected this issue. But is there ANY hope for us guys with the older models?!

Also, I'm trying to run my TC Electronics G-Major 2 into the effects loop in case any of you guys have experience with this same setup. THANKS!

Chris

ceedee1954

Re: Rockerverb 50 Effects Loop Problem!

Post by ceedee1954 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:27 am

Hey Chris~
Welcome to the RV 50 high Impedance efx loop club.I got around this using a Barge Concepts BV 1 buffer at the send. It worked a minor miracle. All of the tone came back. I have heard they corrected it in the Mk II,though. Anyway, any good quality buffer will work.Plug the send from the amp into the input of the buffer and the output of the buffer to your first effect input. Your last effects` output then goes to the return of the amp.
I think Radial also makes something that`s ideal for this situation,as does CAE/MXR MI Audio,Tonefreaks,etc.

HTH
Chris

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:32 am

Hi Chris. Welcome!

God answer from the other Chris! 8)

Yep, needs a buffer, as tayholliday also explained here:

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah they have changed the loop somewhat in the RV Mk.2...

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:30 am

dont boss pedals all have a buffer in them? i think you might have told me that before andy but it was a while back.

B

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:10 pm

bfitz wrote:dont boss pedals all have a buffer in them? i think you might have told me that before andy but it was a while back.

B
Yes I believe they all do, including the very popular old TU2 tuner. And the buffers are permanently on, so no change in tone between 'on' and 'off' settings. Any slight change in tone from the pedals themselves can easily be tweaked with an amps tone controls.

Usually not a problem but they can interact badly with some other pedals depending on input / output impedances.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... +%2Bbuffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like Boss. Good reliable gear! 8)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:34 pm

Yeah i use a DS1 at the start of any chain going into the FX loop when i acutally end up using it that is and it seems to improve the volume loss when there are pedals in there.

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Tamayo
Tiny Terror

Post by Tamayo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:27 am

Allow me to hop on board with a question of my own. :P
Since I got my RV50C over a year ago I've gone directly in the amp with pedals and all. Is this a "no, no"? From what I have gathered it's not a big deal. The tone seems to be the same either way to me. Never knew why I needed to anyway.
Jackson Newcastle Combo
Orange RV50C
00' TR-Black Heritage 535
11' Duesenberg Starplayer Special
01' G&L Legacy

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:11 am

Tamayo wrote:Allow me to hop on board with a question of my own. :P
Since I got my RV50C over a year ago I've gone directly in the amp with pedals and all. Is this a "no, no"? From what I have gathered it's not a big deal. The tone seems to be the same either way to me. Never knew why I needed to anyway.
Some people prefer to use the effects loop for time based effects (reverbs, tremelo, delay etc...). It can help to keep a clean signal when using the dirty channel. It has never been something I have really used except to run a Mosfet SHO Boost clone into as it provides a more substantial boost when running directly into the FX Loop than into the front of the amp.

There is nothing wrong with using all your pedals in front of your amp.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

ColinH

Post by ColinH » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:24 am

Hey everyone, first time post (i'm very new to the forum thing).

Back in sept 2012 I purchased a Rockerverb 50 combo (mki) off of kijiji (free classified ads). I'm a bit of a pedal
junkie and I run alot of effect through the effect loop

(Signal path: guitar-tuner-tube screamer-big muff-moog ring mod- front of rockerverb
FX Send -mxr mirco amp-boss re-20 space echo-electro harmonix cathedral-line 6 dl4- FX Return)

Now I understand with the amount of pedals I use there will undoubtly be some tone loss (nothing too bad when all run
in front of amp). I have run into the high impedance effect loop problem and I purchased a buffer pedal to solve this,
I got the mxr custom audio electronics MC406 CAE Buffer and all it does is add a hiss to my sound.
I have tried out running everything in front of my amp and that work fine, but I would really prefer to use
the amazing dirty and clean channels with my delays, reverb, and boost behind them.

Here's my question:
Is it worth it for me to take my rockerverb to a tech to upgrade the effect loop
to the mkii? (Is that even possible?)

Part 2: If so anyone know of any good orange tech to check out in southern ontario,canada?

Cheers,
Colin

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Old thread, but it's worth refreshing.

I own a RV 50w MK1 head and I'm going to buy MXR Carbon Copy, it will land if fx loop. Does anyone have any experience with CC in MK1's fx loop? Will it cause problems?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon May 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Is it true bypass?

I use my fx loop without additional buffer, but I think 2 or 3 of my pedals in the loop have buffers.

My delay is the vox time machine. A fantastic delay with very poor resale value (read bargain on 2nd hand market).

I also have a digitech supernatural reverb and a ditto looper.

Mind you, my RV50 MKI is from 2009. When i plugged a cable from the send to return, the tone / volume loss isn't that bad. Barely noticeable.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:24 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 9:12 pm
Is it true bypass?

I use my fx loop without additional buffer, but I think 2 or 3 of my pedals in the loop have buffers.

My delay is the vox time machine. A fantastic delay with very poor resale value (read bargain on 2nd hand market).

I also have a digitech supernatural reverb and a ditto looper.

Mind you, my RV50 MKI is from 2009. When i plugged a cable from the send to return, the tone / volume loss isn't that bad. Barely noticeable.
Yes, CC is true bypass with 1M ohm input impedance. Plus I'll power it with 18v for extra headroom.

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:40 am

Ok, so little update: I finally got Carbon Copy and there are NO issues with it in Rockerverb MK1 fx loop. Absolutely NO volume drop. 18v really helps to give CC more juice and headrom.