Thunderverb 200 vs. Overdrive pedals. . .

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Cotton

Thunderverb 200 vs. Overdrive pedals. . .

Post by Cotton » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:09 pm

I think there's a technical concept here at play that I don't know about, maybe someone here can shed some light. . . When I use an overdrive pedal with my Fender princeton reverb, it is pretty transparent and I can turn up the volume and OD on the pedal and the sound responds as you'd expect.

With the Orange (not using my fx loop), especially noticeable with my RAT, it is not responsive to Volume adjustments past about 11:00 on the dial and same with OD adjustments past the same point, it just gets garbled and *really* distorted sounding, not the way the pedal usually sounds. . . noticed same phenom with my Route 66. (??)

thanks,
Adam

Bensen
Orange Master

Re: Thunderverb 200 vs. Overdrive pedals. . .

Post by Bensen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:53 pm

How did you set you amp? Clean or distorted?

Welcome to the forum BTW :D

Cotton

Post by Cotton » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:42 am

this is starting with a clean tone as the base.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:23 pm

Where is your volume at on the amp? I am assuming its not to high, but is it possible that the reason your not seeing any volume changes is because your running out of headroom? This is probably highly unlikely with your 200 watter, but thats the only thing I could think of. I mean, once boosted, maybe it is compressing or clipping more and thats why its not getting the volume boost?
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

thenetsux
Orange Hero

Post by thenetsux » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:27 am

Are you saying that when you use your OD pedal your Thunderverb is unresponsive to volume adjustments on the amp as well as volume adjustments on the OD pedal that are greater than 11 o'clock, or that your pedal makes not significant changes when you adjust the volume on the pedal and the gain on the pedal past 11 o'clock? If it is the latter of the two, I'd just say that you may have to play around with pedals/setting to find what plays nice with your head, I understand that the natural gain of the thunderverb is pretty sick.
http://www.myspace.com/systemsnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/thebandmake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;