RV 50 popping AGAIN

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

frantic29

RV 50 popping AGAIN

Post by frantic29 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:06 am

Got my RV 50 back today from getting the power tubes replaced. Played it in the store for a while it was fine. Got it home and now its popping again. Not the same type of popping as what it was last time. It's not as loud and much more sporadic. They replaced the power tubes and the fuses. THey said the pre amps were fine. What could this be. Should I just ask for another one.

Bentfinger
Orange Master

Re: RV 50 popping AGAIN

Post by Bentfinger » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:58 am

Try swapping the 12ax7 preamp tubes with a known good tube one at a time. or just move them around. Also.. Tap on the vol/tone and reverb knobs one at a time with your finger. also tap on the input and speaker jack and see if you hear the noise. Otherwise, try a different amp tech. Good luck man
http://www.myspace.com/fragilexrock
www.reverbnation.com/fragilex

"I Wanted To Be A Rock Star, But I Must of Been Standing In The Wrong Line"

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Re: RV 50 popping AGAIN

Post by misterMagoo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:29 pm

Could be that your pre amp valves don't have a good connection. Clean each one with electronics cleaner (non residual) on the pins then run them in and out 3 times on each socket. If that doesn't work try moving each valve around just a bit while its in the socket to see if that makes any noise (don't move them to much so that you bend the pins or anything, just a little bit will do).

I would do this before swapping out preamps.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.