Using a amp ordered from the UK in the Netherlands.

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Using a amp ordered from the UK in the Netherlands.

Post by misterfolkertsma » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:03 am

Hey fellow Orange enthusiasts! I'm close to finally buying my first decent tube-amp, always had a tranny practise amp (Crush30R) before this which I still really dig.

So I'm planning on getting a Dual Terror (I really like the TT, but having that extra headroom and two channels is something I'm really interested in) which I think sounds tremendous, I've had the opportunity to test it out with my strat and a shop's hollow-body similar to my setup.

Now, you see. Normally I would buy guitar-gear at the shop where I've tested it especially if you're a regular customer and service is good. But I'm a student so I need to think with my wallet as well, if the prices don't differ too much I don't mind buying it at my regular shop.

Given that the pound is veeeeery attractive for us mainlanders, I've been looking at how much it would save me to order up a DT and a 2x12 OB from the UK... edit: I removed a part of the inital post about pricing, let's just say the savings are really substancial So I've got my mind set to order one from the UK!

Normally I don't really like ordering stuff online, especially if it's big and expensive. But I've read loads of comments on my regular Dutch guitar-forum (gitaarnet) that soundlive.co.uk is excellent and trustworthy, so I'm quite pleased at that.

So finally onto my question, are there any differences between models sold in the UK and those in the Netherlands, referring to differences in electrical currents for example? Anything I should be aware of to properly and safely use the amp in the Netherlands?
Last edited by misterfolkertsma on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: Using a amp ordered from the UK in the Netherlands.

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:20 am

First point - Orange does not like discussion on the Forum about pricing of Orange Amp models currently in production. The point that you can save some money by buying the amp online is understandable, but there are some reasons not to give in to the thrift impulse. If you have any issues or defects with the amp or valves, it will be more complicated to resolve with a retailer who is in another country since shipping would be involved. Regardless of how good the reputation of the online retailer is, they do not make the valves or the amp, so most things are out of their control.

I try not to be short-sighted about buying from big-box or online retailers to save a few bucks up front, because once all of the mom-and-pops are gone, the opportunity to try a product thoroughly before buying may disappear. I would rather pay more for the better service and expertise that I get from a small, local store. Having said that, I do understand that you are talking about a pretty substantial savings, so you have to do what makes sense for you personally. I don't know of any technical differences with amps built for U.K. distribution as compared to other European models. No matter where you ultimately get the amp from, you will be very happy with the Orange Dual Terror - it's a great amp.

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:26 am

Than I'd like to apologise head-on for bringing up the subject of pricing, I'm aware of the 'risk's but as a student this really is the only option for me.

The focus of this topic is about knowing whether there's any differences in voltages etc, so I'd like to continue on that subject instead. There's a ton of differences in standards between countries, so it wouldn't surprise me at all. I would just like to be prepared, that's all.

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:36 pm

misterfolkertsma wrote:
The focus of this topic is about knowing whether there's any differences in voltages etc, so I'd like to continue on that subject instead.
The only difference will be the mains cord as you probably have different plugs styles in the Netherlands than in the UK. No big deal.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:09 pm

Awesome, if that's all it shouldn't be a problem then. Thanks! :D

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:02 pm

The local store debate verses the power online seller is an interesting one, but all too often I find the local store just wants to sell you what they have in stock at the time. I couldn't speak highly enough of Digital Village for the online service/after service they have provided me.
Paul.