OR120 Effects Loop?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

The Riffer

Post by The Riffer » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:17 pm

Hey, I was wondering if all you Orange Lovers could help me out..
I recently purchased a mint 76 OR120 and noticed that it has a "Reverb Loop." Now, I run a lot of pedals, half of which are not true bypassed, so I really don't want to drown the tone of my guitar through the head. It sounds so nice and I'd like to keep it that way...so I was wondering if any of you know if they Reverb Loop on the OR120 head can be used as a basic effect loop. Thanks for reading!

Peter of The Tunka Mighty.

Jeppe Scaramangas

Post by Jeppe Scaramangas » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:26 pm

Well. It was designed to be used with a Reverb Unit that orange made that supposedly beefed up the tone of the guitar with some sort of preamp before sending it back to the return of the echo-jacks. This mean that it will not work as an effect loop at all. But I guess you could just try it out.

Big Pics OR 120 from 1973
Listen to indie music from Finland at:
http://www.thescaramangas.com
OR120 1973
4x12 w/ Greenbacks 1973

Pics of my rig: http://community.webshots.com/user/scaramangas

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:08 pm

It was designed for the Echoplexes of the 70's really... or other such echo units- that's why there's a mountain over it (HELLO Hello hello...)

It's basically useless- it's a real tone-sucker- I don't bother with it and run my effects through the front of the amp. Oftentimes, Oranges don't need much for effects anyways- very good sounding amp run dry- unlike my Marshalls which depend on reverb or some other such thing. Billy

The Riffer

Post by The Riffer » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:24 am

Okay. I'm going to try. Hopefully it just might work. If not, Oh well. Maybe I can find a true bypass switch for that stuff. Oh, and by the way, I checked out The Scaramangas...very very cool. Thanks for you help.

Peter

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Fri May 16, 2003 7:46 pm

I've heard a lot of people talking about the echo loop on the oranges. There are a few fundamentals to remember that will help you use this loop. It is a parallel loop, which means that it allows a feed to be taken from the amp's signal chain and fed into an effects processor without stopping the normal signal of the amp. The signal coming back from the processor can then be fed back into the amp a little further down the circuit. The "dry" signal of the amp itself is never cut off by this loop, which means you have to use a processor/stompbox that will allow you to cut out the direct signal and only put the "effect" signal through. This will stop the tonesucking. The Orange and Matamp reverb units have some provision for this, although I don't know what it is, I've only seen pictures of them. Even the Fender and similar reverb units have a "mix" knob that will allow you to take out the direct signal.

All you have to remember is that this isn't an effects loop like you would have on a Mesa/Boogie or a peavey (HA!) where the effects break into your signal chain. The orange loop simply allows you to have an effect signal go alongside your signal chain.

...hope that helps.

Gladmarr Audio Laboratories