What do you think happened?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

What do you think happened?

Post by Eddie Famine » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:38 pm

I've had my OR50h for about 6 months,practice once a week for about 3-4 hours, play out 2-3 times a month, 4 hours or so, never a problem.
Last night at pratice I switched it on, not a sound. The power tubes were lit, but nothing. I switched it off, checked fuses, checked the connections, OK, checked preamp tubes, the middle 12ax7 was fried! Milky white, gone. The other 2 looked fine. So I put a new one in, and it fired right up.
But what do you think happened? Do you think anything else was damaged?
Of course I don't think it sounds quite the same ( the band said otherwise ) darker, less power, fizzy, but I could be paranoid (what did you say about me?)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: What do you think happened?

Post by a.hun » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:49 pm

I'd say your vacuum tube lost its vacuum! Unusual but thats almost certainly what happened.

I very much doubt anything else will have been damaged. If everthing seems to be working you're fine.

But yeah, don't be too surprised if the sound isn't quite the same. Every single valve will sound a bit different, and different types (makes) can make quite a big difference! The differences in sound from changing preamp valves are often much greater than with different power valve types

What to do is to buy a small selection of different preamp valves and use them to swap out your replacement one at a time - listening carefully to the results. Just stick with whichever sounds / feels best to you.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

esch
Tiny Terror

Post by esch » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:22 pm

+1

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:02 am

+1 again! :wink:

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.