New Ragin Cajun Speaker For My Orange Crush 30R!!!

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

guitkrazy

New Ragin Cajun Speaker For My Orange Crush 30R!!!

Post by guitkrazy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:24 pm

After months of deliberating I took the plunge and bought an Eminence Ragin Cajun for my Crush 30R- Has anyone ever replaced the speaker in their Crush amps just wondering what all I need to do, and what to expect. I love that speaker and the original in the crush just seems stale and muddy.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: New Ragin Cajun Speaker For My Orange Crush 30R!!!

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:18 pm

While most people on the forum would probably tell you that it is a waste of time, I am glad to hear someone willing to try a different speaker with the 30R. I have never gotten around to trying different speakers with mine, but I will be interested to hear your results. It is obvious that the stock speaker is not the best around.

In order to replace the speaker in the 30R, you will need a phillips screwdriver and some patience.

First, take the orange tolex-covered back panel off (two screws on each side).

Next, you will likely need to remove the amp chassis to provide clearance to remove the speaker. You could try to remove the reverb tank, but it looks like it would be easier to just remove the amp chassis.

To remove the amp chassis, remove only the two screws on each side that fasten the white metal chassis to the combo cab. Don't forget to unplug the speaker cables from the speaker as you are removing the chassis. They should be red and black so that you can tell which is which (positive is red). You will probably need to unplug the reverb (RCA) cables as well. Be sure to note which cable is plugged where (red should be OUT and black should be IN).

The speaker has four phillips screws - loosen them by hand if possible to avoid stripping the screwheads. When you install the new speaker, take care to tighten the screws by hand to avoid overtightening - particle board is very unforgiving. The magnet on the Ragin' Cajun should be a little larger than that of the stock speaker, so I don't know if you will have sufficient clearance. There is only one way to find out.

As far as expectations, the Ragin' Cajun is LOUD (100dB), whereas the stock speaker is probably more like 94dB. You should definitely notice an increase in volume and clean headroom. You should be able to push the new speaker a little harder before it distorts, so I think the cleaner sounds will improve the most. I think the 30R sounds better the cleaner it is anyways. Its' shortcomings become apparent with higher gain settings in my experience. Let us know how it works.

Tugboat30

Re: New Ragin Cajun Speaker For My Orange Crush 30R!!!

Post by Tugboat30 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:36 pm

guitkrazy wrote:After months of deliberating I took the plunge and bought an Eminence Ragin Cajun for my Crush 30R- Has anyone ever replaced the speaker in their Crush amps ....
Hi guitkrazy, hi Randy,

I am thinking about changing the stock speaker of my 30R as well. But I am not sure yet which I should take. Some options are: Eminence Legend, Eminence Ramrod (because I like the milkshake thick sound of the Tonker) and last but not least the Vintage 10 by Celestion. Well, the Ragin Cajun might be worth a look, of course.

Anyway, please keep me up with your experience and impressions regarding the Ragin Cajun.

Thanks for your time and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Daniel
Cheers,
Daniel