Trouble with my Tiny Terror!

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Remy

Trouble with my Tiny Terror!

Post by Remy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:36 am

Hey..

I recently bought a Tiny Terror, used, but not too old.. I got home, plugged it into my 1966b cab and cranked the volume up. When I do, it starts like... howling, a kinda high frequent piercing sound. This starts if I've got my volume knob at around 12 if my gain is all turned up, or when the gain knob is at 14 when my volume is all turned up... I've tried with several guitars, other cabs, a lot of cables but nothing seem to help. The sound is like louder than what I play so it's not just like a background fuzz..

Anyway, the tiny terror aint a too loud amp, and this screech makes me just being able to use 50-70% of it's full volume....

Anyone ever heard of this before?
I'd be deeply greatfull for any solutions :mrgreen:

Nork
Orange Master

Re: Trouble with my Tiny Terror!

Post by Nork » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:50 pm

the TT is totally a loud amp! did you check the tubes, i.e. replace/swap any of them out?
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Remy

Post by Remy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:22 pm

Nah, I like tapped them with a pencil, someone said that if there was a loud noise comming out of the cab the tubes were microphonic.. There wasn't though, but I think I'll replace them anyway. ;p

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:32 am

hmmmm....i think that might be as far my expertise go...which is kinda pathetic. i've heard of ths problem before, but i can't remember where on here.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:04 am

Any time you buy a used tube amp you gotta expect that the tubes could be close to shot. Retube it, and see how it is. Chances are, that's the source of your problem.

Remy

Post by Remy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:07 pm

Sounds like a plan.. Uhm, should I change all the tubes, or just the ones in the preamp?

TearOfTheStar

Post by TearOfTheStar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:44 pm

Remy wrote:Hey..

I recently bought a Tiny Terror, used, but not too old.. I got home, plugged it into my 1966b cab and cranked the volume up. When I do, it starts like... howling, a kinda high frequent piercing sound. This starts if I've got my volume knob at around 12 if my gain is all turned up, or when the gain knob is at 14 when my volume is all turned up... I've tried with several guitars, other cabs, a lot of cables but nothing seem to help. The sound is like louder than what I play so it's not just like a background fuzz..

Anyway, the tiny terror aint a too loud amp, and this screech makes me just being able to use 50-70% of it's full volume....

Anyone ever heard of this before?
I'd be deeply greatfull for any solutions :mrgreen:
Hi!

Maybe bad guitar\cabinet cable. Try to overwind it when it is connected to amp+guitar+cab.

Remy

Post by Remy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:15 pm

Yeah, but i've tried like... 3 diffrent cab cables and like 5 diffrent guitarcables, and even another cab, I really think it's got to be the TT :(

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:49 am

do anything about the tubes yet? actually...wrong question - do anything that helped your issue yet? any progress?
--Nick

Remy

Post by Remy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:31 am

Not yet... However, yesterday I noticed that there was some loose parts inside the amp, so I cracked it open, turns out it was just 3 screws that should have been holding the main PCB on place, but there was like 3 others holding it in place, however I put them right back in their places... I didn't find anything else odd inside the amp though. But again, I'm not that good with this whole amp technology.. But there was no diffrence when I had put the screws back in place with the sound, but now there's nothing loose inside the amp!

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:59 am

I think I might be dealing with a microphonic power tube.

Watch these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM2qWZYbInI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAF42EwLzks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Remy

Post by Remy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:57 pm

Yeah, I was by the store today and ordered 2 12Ax7 preamp tubes, they didn't have it in store.. Anyway, I've never changed a tube before, any particular stuf to think about? :)

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:13 pm

1. They pull straight out so don't twist them too much and they don't screw in like a light bulb.
2. Pay attention to the pin placement. The tubes can only go in one way and on the 12ax7s there is a noticeable gap between two of the pins. Just match that up with the gap in the tube socket. Really easy stuff.

And if you already knew all of this stuff, just skip what I wrote.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:26 am

did screwing the pcb back into place change anything? stupid question, maybe...but i dunno that much about electronic theory and maybe the PCB was getting to close something, or maybe...something....lol...

andy? neil? :oops:

as for the tube swap - i find my tung sol a lot tighter in the socket than the jj, not sure why. but it take a fair amount of wiggling. i heard you're not really supposed to wiggle, but i can't get'em out otherwise...i'd be open to suggestions.
--Nick

stjerky
Rocker

Post by stjerky » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:59 am

Remy wrote:Hey..

This sounds like my Marshall when the tubes were "finito".