custom cab with my OR 120. It could have been the
construction of the cab, but I've met a few other
musicians who feel that, in general, a 2x12
speaker setup isn't the most desirable.

Tibor
Orange Hero

Post by Tibor » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:03 pm

@Jeppe?

Do you play with mastervolume set to 100%??? If NO..then there will be no problem with the 212 i have my OD set to nearly 80-85% of the Mastervolume, and i can't see a problem...i used an old MusicMan Cab also 2x12 with old J.B.Lansing speakers with 25watts each...and the speakers are still O.K. (and they are around 30years old, at least they look like 30years!)...

Vintage 30--not because they have 30Watt but because they are ''better copies'' of Celestion 12H30...today the vintage 30 gets copied...how the times change...

Why is an ORANGE, orange? If it would be Green it would be an apple....

Jeppe Scaramangas

Post by Jeppe Scaramangas » Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:10 pm

Yes I need to blast it every now and again.

I don´t play with the amp on full usually. Its so incredibly loud. But I will need to be sure that I dont blow it up if I occasionally play with the volume set to 11. I will need to run it at full volume when I´m recording, and I record quite alot. I love the Orange when its on Overdrive.

But don´t you guys think its wierd that some people say that I MUST HAVE a 200 watt cab with a 100 Watt head and some even use smaller wattage cabs then their head. How can people have so different views on the subject. It should be simple physics.

Big Pics OR 120 from 1973
Listen to indie music from Finland at:
http://www.thescaramangas.com
OR120 1973
4x12 w/ Greenbacks 1973

Pics of my rig: http://community.webshots.com/user/scaramangas

ecto coolest
Rocker

Post by ecto coolest » Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:26 pm

some people like the added distortion that speakers make when they are being pushed beyond their limit. wasn't it pete townshend that tore his speakers on purpose? its all personal preference, so get the cab and see if you like it. if the speakers blow, you can always replace them with higher rated speakers.

it seems to me that you just want the orange cabinet or you would just buy a 2x12 that has 2 100 watt celestions or fanes in it to start with.

why not buy an orange tolex matamp 2x12 with the higher rated speakers. and then buy an orange logo from orange and put it on there. or just get the orange 4x12, i gig with it all the time and its not that bad to lug around.
1971 OR120 (Plexi Panel, Big Pix Only)
1994 Fender Jaguar (Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, Gibson Nashville Bridge)
2002 PPC412 (British V30s)

Jeppe Scaramangas

Post by Jeppe Scaramangas » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:32 am

Yeah, I saw the Fanes loaded 200 Watt vertical 212 at Matamps website. I´m actuallt trying to get in contact with em as we speak to see what it cost for me to get the cab and have it shipped from USA to Finland OR if it would be smarter to have a Matamp 212 cab build for me in Huddersfield,UK and ship it over. I really,Really like the verticals. Its more practical than just laying both speakers at ankle level.

I Dont actually mind much about colour or what the label says. But I do care about size. It needs to fit into a regular car from time to time. We just scored an agency deal with our band a couple of days ago so that means I´m gonna be gigging alot more than I have been up to this point. (Which has been between about 2-5 gigs a month). Ofcourse we need to rent a van when we go gigging, but I dont want to rent a van or be forced to borrow a station wagon just because I need to move my amplifier.

But since I live in Finland the cheapest deal for me would be to pay the 640 E:s for an Orange PPC212 that is just sitting there in my local Orange dealer(even though he he doesnt know the difference between 30cm and 30Watts) The store happens to be just a couple of blocks away from where I live and even closer to the place where we practice. I live right in the centre of Helsinki.

So it would be great to just pick it up say tomorrow. Instead of waiting and paying for overseas shipments. I´m gonna wheel my OR120 to the store and just try it out as soon as possible. If the guy lets me... it was he who told me that the vintage 30s just handles 30W and that I´ll blow the damn cab into bits and pieces of I plug it in.

But thanks alot for your input guys.

Big Pics OR 120 from 1973
Listen to indie music from Finland at:
http://www.thescaramangas.com
OR120 1973
4x12 w/ Greenbacks 1973

Pics of my rig: http://community.webshots.com/user/scaramangas

sddwtcb

Post by sddwtcb » Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:52 pm

i have the new 140 twin channel head running to a ppc212 cab stacked on a ppc 412 cab. since i can't lug the 412 cab around by myself i bring the 212 with me. i use the 212 cab at home almost every day but i haven't cranked it to 11 yet. i do use it at loud volumes and the 212 handles nicely. the 212 cab will work, according to the general rule which was stated earlier, with the od120 but if your gonna play it wide open a lot i wouldn't be able to give you an exact answer. all i can say is that if you like it, try it, and if they blow they blow. good luck with whatever you choose.