9V power for the orange micro crush

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

What would you prefer? (weigh up price/features)

Orange Micro Crush
43%
Marshall MS-2/MS-4
7%
Danelectro Honeytone
7%
Roland Minicube
29%
Pignose
14%

Total votes: 14

Citrus

9V power for the orange micro crush

Post by Citrus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:59 am

Hey there people.
I have been googling for this for weeks, Can't find any specs anywhere!
I have recently made purchase of the Orange Micro Crush 9v amp, I love it! I bought a marshal micro stack and a pignose this month as well, and I have to say, while the pignose is a 5W amp, this little 3w orange kicks its gibblets all over the place! I love the tone from a tiny amp! And I am looking forward to hooking it up to my new 100w powered PA speakers when I get them, to amplify the sweet orange tone!
That said, I would like to get a PSU for this amp, but all i seem to be able to find are US and UK power plugs!
I would much rather something I can plug straight into the wall over here in AUS (240v 50Hz).
I would be happy to just buy a generic power supply if I could find the specs for the orange PSU, but about 2 weeks of googling has brought me no closer! (well a little closer, I managed to find a pic of the supply, but I couldnt make out the amp rating on the pic, as it was too low a resolution!)
I thought I would try the official website, but they don't seem to have anything on the PSU!
I had a look around the boards and it seems that a Boss power supply has been recommended, but after googling for one of those, I am faced with the same problem! (so far I have found them ranging from 200mA to 1.6A!)
Any help at all from any of you would be greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

EDIT: I have done some calculations and I THINK that I need a 300mA power supply at 9v, being that the speaker runs on 3A. Hoping this is correct!
Last edited by Citrus on Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Re: 9V power for the orange micro crush

Post by Orphin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:29 pm

I have a Roland Minicube. I bought it for the features I needed to have i.e. headphones and line in. I also like that it can be powered by batteries if wanted.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

crguti

Post by crguti » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:17 pm

none.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:55 am

Umm, is this a question or a poll? :? :wink:

Ignoring the poll bit, (no opinion anyway!), as far as power supplies are concerned as long as it has at least a high enough current capability for the amps needs, it doesn't matter about the exact figure. (The amp will draw what it requires, not more. It isn't the case for example that a 600mA supply will somehow try to 'force' 600mA into the amp, only that the supply is designed to put out up to 600mA!)

Most important thing is to get the polarity right. Some power supplies will be 'center negative' others 'center negative'. Using the wrong type may well damage the amp, and unfortunately there is no universal standard. (Also true of effects pedals.)

Other factor which may be important is whether the PSU is regulated or unregulated. With unregulated ones the voltage delivered may drop under heavy current demand. Some equipment is more sensitive to this than others - it may or may not matter. But better quality power supples are usually regulated and shouldn't show a significant voltage drop up to their rated current output.

If your amp really did require 300mA, then a regulated 300mA (or greater) or unregulated 500mA (or greater) should do it. But you do need to get the polarity right!!!

Tried contacting Orange at all?

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:06 am

a.hun wrote: Some power supplies will be 'center negative' others 'center negative'.
i think he means "centre negative" or "centre positive".
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:26 am

Nork wrote:
a.hun wrote: Some power supplies will be 'center negative' others 'center negative'.
i think he means "centre negative" or "centre positive".
Correct, I think he probably does. That would be the European spelling. According to my tattered old wordy book he was using the US spelling - most careless! :roll:

Andy.

(PS: valves = tubes = normally understood here!) :wink:
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:49 pm

I run mine from a 300ma center positive adapter. Don't have a clue whether it's regulated or not though... :?
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:14 pm

I don't get the point of the poll. Where's "none of the above?"

I use a battery for mine- if I was going to go the adaptor route, I'd get a 9 volt battery adaptor which doesn't go into the side but clips to the battery connection. I like those better... and you don't have to worry about center polarity or whatever, it just snaps right on and you're in business.

Citrus

Post by Citrus » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:13 pm

Thanks to sooner et al for the advice.
Will just go with a regulated 300-500mA supply with centre positive (I am aussie, so "centre" is correct for me, it's not just for europe!) looking on ebay now.
And to bclare, the poll was an afterthought. First post, so I thought I would just add it when i saw that you could, get some opinions and all. I personally love my micro crush, and will be plugging it into my 100W PA when I get it (in the mail, gotta love ebay!) I even hunted around in my (messy) room and found a lead to go from the headphone jack into a couple of RCA's for better sound, can't wait to hear that tone, LOUD!
There is no "none of the above" because I just thought I would see what people thought of those 5 amps in particular in relation to eachother. No biggie if you don't like any of them, just don't vote! :lol:
Anyways, thanks again to everyone who replied (though "none" didn't really help me! :wink: )

EDIT: sooner, you are running centre pos and haven't screwed the amp up??????
I have just had a look at the back of my amp and the diagram clearly states that the power should be centre NEGATIVE! Not sure if the micro crushes are different for different countries, but i'm going with centre neg for mine. Thanks tho.

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:59 pm

Citrus wrote:EDIT: sooner, you are running centre pos and haven't screwed the amp up??????
I have just had a look at the back of my amp and the diagram clearly states that the power should be centre NEGATIVE! Not sure if the micro crushes are different for different countries, but i'm going with centre neg for mine. Thanks tho.
Yeah I'm pretty sure mine's centre positive:

How strange that they would come both ways!!
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Citrus

Post by Citrus » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:54 pm

Sooner wrote:
Citrus wrote:EDIT: sooner, you are running centre pos and haven't screwed the amp up??????
Yeah I'm pretty sure mine's centre positive:

How strange that they would come both ways!!

Wow, they really do come in 2 different polarities!
bclare, any ideas why this may be? could it be the fact that I purchased a new one a month ago and sooners might be an older model?
P.S. @ that last line... lol... well put.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:20 pm

No idea. That's why I prefer the 9 volt adaptor with battery clip.

And yes, sooner, you can buy them....

Citrus

Post by Citrus » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:55 pm

oh well thanks all again.