AD15 Combo and Extn. Cabs.

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

whiterex

Post by whiterex » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:43 am

Hi guys,
Just a small query Im just about finished paying off an AD15 combo and I was wondering if it is possible to hook up extension cabs to it? Does it have a jack that you plug into? Will it diconnect the internal speaker when engadged? Also since its only a 15 watt amp what kind of extension cabinets should i go for? I was thinking 2x12 cabinets with celestion Vintage 30's or Custom 90's. Will the amp drive them properly? Sorry turned into more than a small query.

help much appreciated,
regards
mark.

masongary44

Post by masongary44 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:59 pm

If you feel around inside the amp (trace the speaker cable to where it leaves the amp casing) you will find it connects via a 1/4" jack plugged into a socket. Next to it is a second socket. I do not believe you should use them both at the same time, one is 8 ohm the second is 16 ohm (see the serial number plate on the back of the amp as it tells you which way roud they are). I to wanted an extention cabinet, and after looking around decided to make one,..its easy if you have access to some tools. I fitted the cabinet with an 8 ohm celestion vintage 30 (12") that i bought form www.watford-valves.com.

Since the amp came supplied with a 8 Ohm speaker, I got myself to the local electonics shop and bought 3 sockets.all wired in a serial circuit. Now i can take the 16 ohm output and drive the 2 8 Ohm speakers. It works a treat.

The theory is the same for any other cabs, but if you are planning anything like a 2x12 or even 4x12 (i have tried this using carvin and marshall 4x12 cabs, and they both sounded superb) you probably do not need to worry about losing output form the speaker in the combo.

I hope this helps.

Gary

Live and kickin'
Live and kickin'

whiterex

Post by whiterex » Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:45 am

Thanks for the response...
So what your saying is that the AD15 will drive a 4x12 cab if need be? Did you find it pushed the speakers sufficiently? 15 watts just doesnt seem like enough to me but maybe I am unsure of how all this works.

thanks. anybody who can respons and give their two sense will be appreciated.

mark.

jason fisher

Post by jason fisher » Mon May 12, 2003 9:12 pm

I have an AD1512, an AD30R, and an old 4x12 from the 90's containing 4 - 75 watt Celestions. The new cabinets have 4 - 60 watt Celestions. The AD1512 does not have enough output for my 4x12 to sound decent. The AD30R has just about enough power to do the job but it would sound better with more power. The new 4x12 cabinets will sound good with a 30 watt power section but I do not reccomend using an AD1512 to run a 4x12. It's just not enough power for a full sound but it will work and if you have both why not try it. It may be a sound you are looking for. Good luck!

jason
jason

Davis
Tiny Terror

Post by Davis » Tue May 13, 2003 5:42 pm

You might consider using Tone Tubby speakers. They are an Alnico speaker rated at only 25 watts. I'm sure you'll be pleased at the sound of your 15 watt amp pushing these things. They have a smooth break-up and of course the Alnico speakers are what Vox has used in their amps for years. Check out the Tone Tubby website for more info.