orange or 120 with master volume

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

MrIVOcat

orange or 120 with master volume

Post by MrIVOcat » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:00 am

:?:hi to all,
let me start with explaning that i have an exelent grandmother who got me a vintage or 120 with master volume---but my luck is not that good for i live in central america and nobody knows about tube amps and to be honest what i know is just a bit..i don't want to xxxx it up and so i'm here to learn all that i can with all your help.
great forum by the way...
Sorry for my spelling...but can someone help me out with what tipe of CAB should i use my or 120 with (any tips )--2 more things should i get an attenuater (whitch brand recomend) and last could someone help explain what exactly does the master volume in my amp work for...THANKS TO ALL help me PLEASE...[/b]

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:20 am

Wow! I wish my grandmother would buy me something half that cool!

First off, whatever speaker you use has to be able to handle the power coming out of that amp. I would suggest at least a 2x12 cabinet with speakers that are at least 60 Watts a piece to handle the 120 Watts coming from the amplifier. Ideally you want a nice, big 4x12 cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30s, G12-T75s, or Hot 100s. Something along those lines. You'll like it, believe me.

As for the master volume; if it is a factory master volume, it will do something along the lines of what an attenuator will do. It isn't the same, but it will help you get a more distorted tone at lower volume. An OR120 without a master volume is usually at ear-splitting volume before you get much overdrive or distortion from the amp.

I wouldn't really recommend an attenuator, because I've seen a few people having problems with them. I've heard of troubles with vintage Oranges being used with attenuators often enough that it makes me steer clear of them altogether.

You should try to post some pictures of your amp, I bet it looks nice!

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:38 am

Hi MrIVOcat, and welcome to the forum! :D

Yeah, nice present!!! Is it the OR120M 'Overdrive' model? Then it'll be a factory fitted master volume. The 'Overdrive' was basically exactly that - the MV version of the OR120. There are plenty of Oranges out there though which have had an MV control modification fitted, some better than others.

Agree that you'll need speakers rated for at least 120 watts power handling. If you go for Celestions that is a safe enough minimum, but for any other makes I'd go for a rather higher power rating! See here, especially post #7:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=277137

Personally I'd avoid the G12T-75 type speaker with Oranges. IMO they just don't suit Oranges too well tonally and are also less efficient (less loud) than many other Celestions. A Marshall 4x12 cab with the '75s made my own 120 Overdrive sound like a rather ill 50 watter! :evil: If going for a 2x12 or 4x12 then Vintage 30s would be fine. A 4x12 with G12H-30s also sounds great with these amps. There are plenty of other possibilities of course, but these would be my choices.

Going to (politely) disagree with Gladmarr on the attenuator question. Thing is that the Oranges own master volume circuit was a very early and very simple MV design, and frankly isn't that effective. It is fine if you just want to take an edge off the volume, but below about 8/10 the amp just doesn't sound nearly as good as it should. I've found the THD Hotplate attenuator works pretty well with Oranges - including my own Overdrive. Also being rated at 180W+ power handling it is one of the few models out there which will actually reasonably safely handle a cranked OR120. With attenuators you really need to make sure that they are rated high enough to handle the full cranked output of the amp, and with a properly tweaked OR120 with good power valves that can certainly be well over 150W! Main disadvantage of the Hotplate is that the attenuation levels are in 4 decibel steps, each roughly equivalent to cutting the output power to 40% of the previous. So for a 120w amp you are talking (roughly) 120W unattenuated, 50W @ -4dB, then 20, 8 and 3 watts at -8, -12 and -16dB. When set to -16dB a rotary control is switched in to then give you stepless control down to silence.

Only fair to say that most people do find that the harder you attenuate the less impressive the sound seems. It is fine if you are going to stick a microphone in front of the cab (for recording or PA). But to the human ear strongly attenuated amp sounds are less full and have less impact. This is mainly because the ear hears louder and quieter sounds differently. Mics don't react the same as your ears though. That was discussed a bit here:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?p=437186

Effectively what this means is that if you use the -4dB setting you'll have a great sounding 50 watter. Or you can take it down further and mic it up for great sounds. Just don't expect to be able to get really great sounds at bedroom levels - ain't going to happen!

Your main problem though is that these amps do need a bit of maintainence now and then, espeically for setting the bias current in the right sort of range for new sets of power valves. Due to the LETHAL voltages in valve amps (often even long after being powered down!) this really isn't do it yourself stuff unless you know exactly what you are doing. The risk of death or serious injury is very real, so do try to find yourself a good amp tech - you are going to need one!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

MrIVOcat

Re: orange or 120 with master volume

Post by MrIVOcat » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:54 am

8) Gladmarr AND a.hun THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HARD IT IS TO FIND GOOD IDVICE FROM PEOPLE HERE IN GUATEMALA,, WHO ACTUALY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.... :D BY THE WAY CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME THERE OPINION ON WHAT THEY THINK ABOUT--- THE MATCHLESS SUPERCHIEF 120 AND COMPARE IT TO THE ORANGE OR 120 IT WOULD BE GREAT--THE THING IS I DON'T KNOW IF SHOULD TADE MY ORANGE(I KNOW I'M GOING TO HELL JUST FOR THINKING THIS) OR NOT PLUS DONT HAVE THE CHANCE OF TESTING IT SO HELP PLEASE THANKS....

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Re: orange or 120 with master volume

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:42 am

I wish I could help further, but I have never played a Matchless. I don't know much about their sound at all....