My AD30HTC blew a fuse

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

dealcatcher

Post by dealcatcher » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:23 am

I turned on my amp today and when I clicked off standbuy the orange light faded and my amp turned off. Both fuses on the amp blew. After replacing the fuses everything seems to be normal. I didn't smell anything wierd however I did notice a little bit of a chared look to the top of the smaller transformer. However, that may have always been there because I didn't smell anything burnt. Any ideas why a fuse would blow? The amp is still under warranty is there anything I should do?

Thanks
Dan

twin-tones

Post by twin-tones » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:38 am

A condition that takes out both fuses and then works properly is rare. Try the following. Remove your power tubes and check them one by one to see if there are any white flakes that look like dandruff inside of them. You will probably only see it if you turn them upside down and then right side up a few times. If you see something like that replace them. The white flakes are a result of a defective cathode which could cause intermittent shorting. Also if you see that one of the tubes is white where the others are shiny replace that tube, but be very cautious for it will have a stress crack in the glass which means it could shatter and cut you when you remove it. That could also cause the problem you are having. If you no longer have the problem you could have had a temporary low voltage condition on your power grid, and when you turned the amp on it could blow the fuses. The odds of having an intermittent output transformer are small. I have only seen that happen twice on the thousand's of amps we have repaired. There are other possibilities but these are the most common.
You can call me if you have any questions 847/965-2550

Best regards
John Sizos
Minstrel Music Ltd