Volume difference on Thunderverb 50 channels

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Fabster

Volume difference on Thunderverb 50 channels

Post by Fabster » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:01 pm

Hello All,

This might be a newbie question, but I noticed on my recently aquired Thunderverb 50 that there is a slight volume difference between my channel A and channel B...

At equivalent gain & volume settings, channel A is slightly louder. To get channel B as loud as A, I need to increase its volume about one graduation of knob...

And as I'm here, other newbie question, is channel supposed to be the "clean" channel? even though its volume is slightly lower than A, it seems to have more gain...

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Fabien
Hobbyist musician...

Les Paul Studio Light 1993
Telecaster Standard US 1995
Stratocaster Standard 2008
Thunderverb 50
Marshall 1960A (soon to be replaced by PPC212OB when someones buys my old cab on eBay...)

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:16 am

Don't think either channel is supposed to be the clean channel. Both can equally well be used to do clean or dirty.

I wouldn't worry that the same settings get you slightly different volume levels. The channels are different, but even with identical channels you'd probably get slight differences anyway since no two valves are ever exactly identical.

As long as you can get the sounds you want from both channels, and the maximum volumes are high enough for you I really don't think it is a problem. :)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

Fabster

Post by Fabster » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:48 am

Hello Andy!

Thanks a lot for your answer!! I guess I've spent to much time playing with solid state amps, and forgot the variability of valves... Both channels are loud enough for what I'm doing, so all is fine!

Fabien
Hobbyist musician...

Thunderverb 50
Marshall 1960A (soon to be replaced by PPC212OB when someones buys my old cab on eBay...)

guitarrero

Post by guitarrero » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:33 pm

hello fabster
I've got a friend ( not in my band )but were are from time to time playing along together and we have both bought the same THUNDERVERB HEAD and I recently tested both the heads alternatively linked on the same PPC4X12 and the result is that as the same value his "head " was lower sounding than mine and I just had to increase its gain to start to hear it
Don't worry about that ..... low differences don't matter :wink:
not running if you don't know where you're going....

Fabster

Post by Fabster » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:29 pm

Thanks for the added comment Guitarrero!!

I'm starting to get used to using an all-valve head now... And must admit that even if I felt a bit surprised at first with the way it reacts to settings compared to my former valvestate head (which wasn't sounding that bad actually!!), I'm glad I crossed the line to go on the all-valve world!! It just sounds so great!!!

Cheers!

Fabien
Hobbyist musician...

Thunderverb 50