tube grounding resistor fix???

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

kcmoe

Post by kcmoe » Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:50 pm

the other night at practice my '74 OR80 started soudning really bad. in fact it's this one http://www.geocities.com/geertjacobs/OFG_OR8074.htm really compressed, no bottom end, bad distortion, almost like a bad speaker. i had recently swapped the PI tube from a 12ax7 to the half breed job that came in it. i thought that was the problem. so i swapped it back and decided to check the bias. when i pulled the chasis a white, square porcelain resistor(?) fell out. inspection found a matching one grounding one of the tube socket pins to a post in the case. i could see the reamins of the leads from the other socket to the same post. what caused this to break off i have no idea. i resoldered it inplace. warmed up and check the bias. one tube read 47 the other was in the low 30's. i had previously retubed it and biased for 34 on both. thinking one tube may have gotten a bit fried when the resistor came loose i put an old set in and checked bias. they were only about 6 apart. which is a lot better. i don't know if they were a matched set (Ruby Tubes) or not. they were in the amp when i bought it a few months back. i just retubed it with Svetlana EL-34's anyway. i'm going to get another set of Svets next week and see if everything has returned to noraml.

i was wondering if anyone might have an idea why BOTH leads on this resistor would break? it didn't look scorched or anything. the solder joints were still there with the remains of the wire in them on both terminals. also, if there could be any other damage done while iwas playing on it for a couple of hours, or anything i should check to be sure. i have practice again tonight so i'll be "testing" it so to speak for sound quality.