Where can I buy Orange tubes in EU?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Matej

Where can I buy Orange tubes in EU?

Post by Matej » Fri May 29, 2009 5:05 am

hello! First of all, sorry for my english...I hope you will understand what I'm saying:P hehe
So, I need to know in which online store in EU (no matter where) is possible to buy Orange tubes, because I have to change the stock tubes on my Rocker 30 combo. I asked Orange Service and they send me an adress of an italian store, but they don't want to reply to my emails so...
Thank you :) Have a nice week end!

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Fri May 29, 2009 8:33 am

Hi Matej. Welcome to the forum.

I had a very nice meal once in Trieste, with octopus tentacles on the side. Only time I've ever tried them and they were pretty nice!

Wouldn't worry about buying Orange branded valves in particular. Apart from being hard for you to get hold of there are almost certainly better ones out there, like the ones you amp may have come with!

The stock power valves on the R.30 these days are the Electro Harmonix 6CA7, an EL34 equivalent. They sound good (still original in my own R.30). JJ EL34s are good quality but will likely sound a bit 'darker'. 'Winged C' labelled SED Svetlanas are also very good indeed. (Avoid the non 'Winged C' Svets though - different company, cheaper valve!)

The preamp valves in my R.30 were JJs. They are good quality and should last you a good while yet with luck.

Best bet is not to go to a shop, but to buy online or mail order from a good valve supplier. They will test and match their power valves and give a limited period return guarantee in case of early failures. Getting a couple of spare 12AX7 preamp valves is a good idea, but you probably won't need them for a while. Preamp valves normally last much longer than power valves, maybe 4-5 times longer.

Have a great weekend too!

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

mike
Orange Expert

Post by mike » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Ive retubed my old overdrive 120 with Electro Harmonix el 34 and 12 ax 7 (ecc 83) and they are really good. They remember me the original Mullard ones...

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:54 am

mike wrote:Ive retubed my old overdrive 120 with Electro Harmonix el 34 and 12 ax 7 (ecc 83) and they are really good. They remember me the original Mullard ones...
Nice to hear Mike. Unfortunately they won't last nearly as long. Nothing would of course.

But in fact I wouldn't expect them to last all that long in the OR. JJs or Winged C SEDs might be a better bet if you find yourself shopping again for power valves in the very near future - which you may. Or better still NOS Teslas. They last well and sound very good. Our old OR amps are great but DO need really strong power valves because they hit them with silly high voltages. Just not sure quite how well the EH ones are going to last you. Let us know though - maybe they'll take the juice better than I think. (I've never tried them in mine!)

120 - 120 = still 015637! :wink: 8)
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=1082

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

mike
Orange Expert

Post by mike » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:26 pm

Thanks for your advice Andy H. I remember, some monthes ago, Ive posted to know the better choice for my OR 120 and EH were'n't considered as the best choice. But when I went to my usual technician his only stock choice was HE. I went for EH, just to see... Yes they sound good but I don't know if they will live a long time. In fact I don't use my OR very often now, just for" big "stages. The reason why : Im 60 years (61 in July) and Ive no roady... My friends help me of coarse but there is always a moment where I am alone with the OR and have to move it from the car to my house and my back remember it ! Most of the time for little stages, coffee bars etc. I play on small amps. Its not the same magical sound but its like that.
In conclusion Im not a good reference to test the lifetime of EH but next time Iwill try to listen to your advice... Thanks Andy and have good time...

mike
Orange Expert

Post by mike » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:31 pm

Ah ! 015757 - 015637 = 120 ! 8) :)