Preamp Tube Question

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Pacomc

Post by Pacomc » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:07 pm

Hey guys I have a AD15/12. It has 3 12AX7's in the preamp.

I was wondering what your personal favorite flavor of 12AX7 is and where you buy them?

Also which slot might I substiute a 12AU7 or 12AT7 or can I do that?

How would that change my tone?

Thanks

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hey guys I have a AD15/12. It has 3 12AX7's in the preamp.

I was wondering what your personal favorite flavor of 12AX7 is and where you buy them?

Also which slot might I substiute a 12AU7 or 12AT7 or can I do that?

How would that change my tone?

Thanks
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

My favorites are the Ei 12AX7EG (Elite golds). But they're not for everyone. They're pretty bright and gainy tubes that may soung harsh in certain amps (Mesa comes to mind). But they have tons of detail and complexity in comparision to most current production tubes, I love them in my OR-80. Again, it's my personal preference, but not for everyone.

Other good current production tubes are the Electro Harmonix 12AX-7EH, and the Sovtek 12AX-7LPS. Both fairly similar in that fact that they have a nice overall well balanced sound. Good all around tubes. I would recommend the EH over the Sovtek in a combo specifically because the Sovtek LPS (Large plate structure) has large plates, and tends to go microphonic quicker under contant vibration.

As far as lower gain tubes go...

you can try them wherever you'd like. If you use the amp for clean and want some more headroom, try a lower gain tube in the phase inverter position (closest to the power tubes)...it may be what you're looking for. But...I wouldn't really go messing with the gain structure of the amp unless you're unhappy with how it sounds.

Hope that helps,

-Nick

Edited by - fiveightandten on 05 Apr 2003 18:30:35
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI