Bought re-issue-OR120. Couple of questions!

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Tommy Lommy

Bought re-issue-OR120. Couple of questions!

Post by Tommy Lommy » Sat May 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi there.

A while ago i bought a re-issue OR120 + 4x12 cab.

First of all i'd like to know if i made a fair deal or got ripped. I live in denmark and prizes here are sky high compared to the states when it comes to instruments/amps and orange amps are pretty damn rare to stumble upon. I instantly fell in love with it just hearing the clean sound AND looking at it :) so i had to buy it even though he woulden't lower the price at all. Its in nice condition, no scratches or anything and he said the tubes was all new.

I ended up paying the guy around 2500$
To compare: if i went to the only licensed orange dealer in denmark i could buy a new Orange Thunderverb 200 for around 3500$, amp head only.

I know im not supposed to talk prices in here, but this has nothing to do with me wanting to sell my amp or anything. If its still in violation with the rules, please ignore this question Smile

Next question up: I have been playing it in my apartment for a while with a rat pedal for distortion since i cant go anywhere near the volume where the amps own distortion kicks in without blowing my windows, and probably my neighbors windows too. The rat-solution sounds pretty sweet, but i recently moved the amp to my rehearsal room and cranked it up. Holy moly! It sounds amazing. I play kinda sabbathy-kyuss-stonerish 70's whatever rock, and the sounds perfect... but its LOOOOUUUUD as ****!!!!
In our small rehearsal room it just completely kills the drums and our PA can't match the volume at all!

I've read a couple of other posts considering this issue and i dont realy have the cash for one of thoose attenuators even though the ultimate attenuator sounds and looks cool, also i'd like to keep my setup pretty simple and avoid too many pedals and whatnot's... So im thinking of removing tubes to make it like the OR80?

Now, i know absolutely NOTHING about wiring, impedance, ohms, volts, or tubes. Heck' i used to connect my old JCM900 to the speaker cab with an ordinary jack untill some guy told me that was a seriously bad idea. (that IS a bad idea right?) Anyway, i'd like to know if this is something i could do myself with some propper guidance from one of you guys, without blowing my amp. I have a concert to play in 11 days, so i'd realy prefer not to blow up my amp right now :?

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, and i didnt know if i should put the post in tech or cummunity, since it's kinda both i guess.

mike
Orange Expert

Post by mike » Sun May 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Yes it's not a good idea to use a guitar jack between the head and the cab (not the same resistance and someone will explain that better than me). A friend who I have let my overdrive 120 for some gigs used it with a phone type guitar jack (3 or 4 meters) which is the worst thing to do. But this amp is built like a tank and there was no problem. Althought, it's to avoid.
I use me too a rat with the amp and it sounds good but we have to find the right combination between the rat's sound and the overdrive of the amp for not sounding too fuzzy unless it's what we are looking for.
We can remove the 2 outside power tubes but someone on this forum will tell you if there are some adjustements to do...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun May 03, 2009 5:12 pm

You definitely need to use a speaker cable, not a guitar cable for it first and foremost.

You can remove a pair of power tubes (I believe the outside tubes, leaving the two middle ones, but you need to plug the cab into the 8 ohm out instead of 16 ohm out in that case I believe.

You're going to find that it's STILL really loud even with just the two tubes!

Is it the OR120 with a master volume or the straight non-master model?

As far as prices, it's not a current Orange product so it's a totally fair question to ask. Personally, I think it was on the high side but I'm comparing it to USA pricing for a used Orange and the availability of used stuff here- where you are, it was probably a fair price if they're really hard to come by....

... oh and welcome to the forum!

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Sun May 03, 2009 7:28 pm

enough of that 80 watts nonsense...crank that baby!
but, really it won't make much difference so use it just as it is and don't meddle with it. You'll be able to crank it more when on a stage and the drummer is miced, and in practice room sacrifice a bit of your volume and try to compensate with your rat. it's a great amp, especially for the music you play, and it should be loud.
$2500 for an orange head and cab is a really nice price in Europe.
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

Incubus
Rocker

Post by Incubus » Tue May 05, 2009 10:54 am

Hey there, I play the RI OTR120 as well but the 2x12 combo though... It's loud as hell.... Mine is cranked pretty high, have no clean tone at all, and I use a RAt as well to make it extremely aggressive...

And, I'm from Denmark just like you :D what band are you in??

PopnFresh
Orange Master

Post by PopnFresh » Tue May 05, 2009 11:40 am

What about getting a power soak like the THD hotplate? Then you can crank it and turn the volume down before the signal hits the cab.

Tommy Lommy

Post by Tommy Lommy » Tue May 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks for all your answers.

Yesterday i was rehearsing with the band and i did some meddling with the amp and rat, and found a pretty good combination of amp-gain and rat-distortion, i think im pretty satisfied with how it sounds now. I think i might have just been using the rat-distortion a bit too much before. At least ill wait untill after the concert and see how that goes before i consider doing anything radical.
Is it the OR120 with a master volume or the straight non-master model?
Its the one without.
... oh and welcome to the forum!
Thanks!
What about getting a power soak like the THD hotplate? Then you can crank it and turn the volume down before the signal hits the cab.
Thats a bit too expensive for me right now. And i think im pretty happy with it after the meddling.

And, I'm from Denmark just like you Very Happy what band are you in??

The one at the buttom. - no myspace or anything yet.

Tommy Lommy

Post by Tommy Lommy » Wed May 06, 2009 8:52 am

Ohyeah i got another question!

Even though the amp's build like a tank like someone pointed out earlier, I'd like some kind of protection for it when "on the road".

I was thinking of buying this one a RB23500B - Amp Head Transporter

http://www.dominantmusic.com.au/files/a ... 8_main.htm

I think its quite nice it has the extra space for pedals and stuff, on the other hand it just seems quite old-lady-ish walking around with your amp like that, hehe...

Then theres the flightcase option

Im just not sure if the amp fits inside it, since the shape is quite different than marshall amps etc, and its got those metal handles in the front. Does anybody know one that it would definitely fit in? And yet another question: i saw somebody on this forum posting a pic of his amp inside a flightcase in his rehearsal room, and it seemed like he just took of the side when using it, leaving the amp inside the flightcase while playing it.. Isnt that a bad idea with the orange? It already gets kinda hot even outside a case?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed May 06, 2009 11:09 am

Road cases:

I'd only leave an Orange head in a case if it was sitting in the tray.

While it may seem convenient to have a space for other stuff in the road case, you're making a ridiculously heavy amp and case even heavier! I'd opt for a case for the head only...

Tommy Lommy

Post by Tommy Lommy » Fri May 08, 2009 11:07 am

bclaire wrote:Road cases:

I'd only leave an Orange head in a case if it was sitting in the tray.

While it may seem convenient to have a space for other stuff in the road case, you're making a ridiculously heavy amp and case even heavier! I'd opt for a case for the head only...
Im not quite sure what "in the tray" means, can you explain it in other words? :)

I've been searching the web for a flightcase that fits the or120 a bit, but i can only seem to find cases for new orange amps, but this one should fit the or120, right?

http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/mus ... =2828-3472