External reverb?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Anachronism

External reverb?

Post by Anachronism » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:54 pm

I'm curious now... after reading about the vintage fender amps with the external reverb units, would you be able to get one, or use a rack-reverb with a TT?

Would you plug it in the front, or would you need an F/X loop?
Also, any ideas on any good reverb units, preferably ones not too expensive, as I only have a small budget!

Cheers!

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:08 pm

David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Anachronism

Post by Anachronism » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Orphin wrote:Image
That's umm, very lovely. A bit over my budget I think.. go on, what's the price? :roll:

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Only sold with Series 2000 head and matching 2x15 cab: £1945

Image :D
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Gladmarr
Orange Master

Re: External reverb?

Post by Gladmarr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:30 am

Anachronism wrote:I'm curious now... after reading about the vintage fender amps with the external reverb units, would you be able to get one, or use a rack-reverb with a TT?

Also, any ideas on any good reverb units, preferably ones not too expensive, as I only have a small budget!

Cheers!
You'd have to put it up front, because the TT doesn't have an effect loop.

These are nice too... just a little bigger than the TT.

WAWBanks
Orange Hero

Post by WAWBanks » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:47 pm

the Z-verb is hotttttt.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

mike
Orange Expert

Post by mike » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:39 pm

Anachronism

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:54 pm Post subject: External reverb? Reply with quote
I'm curious now... after reading about the vintage fender amps with the external reverb units, would you be able to get one, or use a rack-reverb with a TT?

Cheers!

If you put your reverb in front of your Tiny Terror, the reverbered sound will be good only for clean or not too distorted sounds... With heavy distorted sounds, the reverbered sound will crash again the amp's distortion. A good technician can install a send and return loop (the ideal is parallel loop so you keep the natural sound of the amp + the reverbered sound...)
Now you have to know that its a complex problem. So, on my overdrive 120, there is a parallel effect loop but its better for clean or light overdrive. If I roll up the gain knob for getting more overdrive (and then I roll back the master volume) its not that good. Then the most of time, I will use a good distortion pedal box, send it in a reverb/delay box in front of the amp, with a light amount of overdrive or a clean sound.... It works better on stage for me. In a studio, you can experiment a lot more. Excuse approximative english...

mike
Orange Expert

Post by mike » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Oups. Read" against" instead of "again"

defrag
Orange Expert

Post by defrag » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:09 pm

'63 Fender Reverb

VanAmps Sole-Mate

Vermona ReTubeVerb

Mesa Roadster, Egnater Rebel, Orange Terror, Blackheart Giant • Ric 360MG, Schecter C1, Martin OMC15, Moog Phatty/6 Foogers, Korg microXL/Electribe MX • Alesis, Boss, Mackie, Peterson, Radial ( o )==#
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫

fibersnake
Orange Expert

Post by fibersnake » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:38 pm

Well you can still get a Fender 63 RI Reverb over here. They are very similar to the original.

In addition there is a Japenese made one from Guyatone that is pretty damn nice an cheaper than the Fender RI.

Dr. Z Zverb is supposed to be excellent and though I have not tried it myself, I have been very very happy with their amps.

Also check out the eBay and others for the good ole used ones. I bought an old Premier years ago and it is still going strong and is over 40 years old. Just occasional new tubes and a general check-up at the amp doc and expect it to go for many more years.

Also there is some pretty good DIY kits out there and some smaller builder that will do one for you.

Good luck and have fun

Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.