Orange Rocker 30... Convert Combo to head?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

BrianPhase90

Orange Rocker 30... Convert Combo to head?

Post by BrianPhase90 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:55 am

Is this an easy or even possible feat? Or would it be easier to sell the combo and buy a head? I love my Rocker 30 combo... But I need the flexibility of a head... what say you?

:shock:

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:44 am

I'd say you'd better try to trade/sell it. The TT Combo is the only one with a head built-in in a cab. If you take a look at your rocker you'll see that the panel with the knobs is upside-down compared to a head.

If you build a cab for the head I think you are gonna end up like a JCM vs a MG-head :). If it will be possible at all considering the placement of the valves/trannies.

MaxRossell
Orange Expert

Post by MaxRossell » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:36 am

Yeah, you'd have to build it into an upside-down head (many manufacturers just flip the chassis upside-down and rewire the whole thing backwards from head to combo) and I don't even know if that's possible.

You could probably score a new R30 head for what you'd get for the combo second hand if it's in real good condition.

BrianPhase90

Post by BrianPhase90 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:52 am

MaxRossell wrote:Yeah, you'd have to build it into an upside-down head (many manufacturers just flip the chassis upside-down and rewire the whole thing backwards from head to combo) and I don't even know if that's possible.

You could probably score a new R30 head for what you'd get for the combo second hand if it's in real good condition.
Yeah... that's kinda what I was thinking... thanks!

ironlung40
Orange Master

Re: Orange Rocker 30... Convert Combo to head?

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:59 am

BrianPhase90 wrote:Is this an easy or even possible feat? Or would it be easier to sell the combo and buy a head? I love my Rocker 30 combo... But I need the flexibility of a head... what say you?

:shock:

I don't understand this statement at all. How is the head more flexible than the combo? The rocker 30 combo is small enough, and doesn't weigh that much, so it is practically as portable as a head. Also, you can run it to extension cabinets just like a head, plus it has its own unique voicing by being in its own 1x12 open-back cabinet, so you get great versatility and different tones to boot.

I can understand liking heads better than combos, but not that a head is more flexible than a combo. If it is an ohm matching problem, you can always unplug the internal speaker and then you have the same options as the head will give you.

I wouldn't change it to a head under any circumstances.

Ironlung40
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Orange Rocker 30... Convert Combo to head?

Post by a.hun » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:01 pm

Without having an R.30 head to hand, I believe the actual amp sections of the combo and head are probably identical, bar the different faceplate with reverse / upside down lettering. In the R.30 combo the valves are directed to the rear with the faceplate facing up. Rotate it 90° and you'll have the faceplate facing forwards and the valves upwards as with the head. Given a headbox and different faceplate it should be do-able.

But I wouldn't. Waste of a good combo cabinet for starters, and all in all too much unnecessary hassle getting / making the headbox and faceplate needed. (Even assuming that they are the only differences!)

+1. I'd just sell the combo and get the head.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!