RV 50 - UNPLUGGING the reverb

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

kornel

Post by kornel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi People!

Will it be safe to simply disconnect the reverb tank from the RV50 combo and use the amp without the reverb with the reverb volume turned all the way down? Supposedly I'd like to use this reverb tank with another amp or wahatever. Can this damage the amp?

Thanks,
Kornel.

kornel

Post by kornel » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:44 pm

anyone?

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. You could just pull the reverb valve, marked V6 on the pic here:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?t=14949

Then it should effectively be out of circuit.

NDH (TT) :)
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

kornel

Post by kornel » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:36 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by a.hun</i>
<br />Shouldn't be a problem. You could just pull the reverb valve,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Sounds almost too easy ;)
thanks for the opinion!

kornel.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:10 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kornel</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by a.hun</i>
<br />Shouldn't be a problem. You could just pull the reverb valve,

Sounds almost too easy ;)
thanks for the opinion!

kornel.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Welcome. Not just an opinion though. Pulling the preamp valves one at a time in a valve amp is never a problem. See here:
Amp debugging pages:
http://www.geofex.com/ampdbug/prepared.htm
Read under : "The only good amp is a dead amp" about finding out how amps work by pulling the <i>preamp</i> valves. That is perfectly safe for basically any valve amp though I really wouldn't pull them ALL out at once. (Pointless anyway!) And I wouldn't go doing it with the power valves either!!!)

Thing is if you leave the Reverb circuit intact and just unplug the reverb tray cables, well you just need to touch the wrong cable end against something to get noise in the amp. Better just to disable the circuit by pulling that valve. (Unless it covers more than the reverb circuit that is. Each preamp valve is two valves in one bottle. AFAIK both halves of this valve work the reverb though.)

NDH (TT) :)

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

kornel

Post by kornel » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:14 pm

Thanks so much for such a complete answer!

-Kornel.

Will Loftin
Orange Technical Manager

Post by Will Loftin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:04 pm

Please be aware that running your amp without a reverb tank may damage the reverb transformer. It is supposed to be connected to a load at all times (ie. the reverb tank), just the same way your output transformer is connected to a speaker load. It can survive for a little while with the tank removed, but I wouldn't suggest it for longer periods of time! Why risk it?

A spring reverb tank requires two amplifier stages, one to drive it and one to re-amplify the signal properly. You cannot use the tank by itself. A reverb tank should only be used within a circuit that matches its input/output impedance.
Will Loftin
Technical Manager
Orange Music Electronic Co

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:07 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Will Loftin</i>
<br />Please be aware that running your amp without a reverb tank may damage the reverb transformer. It is supposed to be connected to a load at all times (ie. the reverb tank), just the same way your output transformer is connected to a speaker load. It can survive for a little while with the tank removed, but I wouldn't suggest it for longer periods of time! Why risk it?

A spring reverb tank requires two amplifier stages, one to drive it and one to re-amplify the signal properly. You cannot use the tank by itself. A reverb tank should only be used within a circuit that matches its input/output impedance.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">And removing the valve Will? (Rather than just disconnecting the tank?) Safer, yes?

NDH (Rocker+)

kornel

Post by kornel » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:08 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Will Loftin</i>
<br />Please be aware that running your amp without a reverb tank may damage the reverb transformer. It is supposed to be connected to a load at all times (ie. the reverb tank), just the same way your output transformer is connected to a speaker load. It can survive for a little while with the tank removed, but I wouldn't suggest it for longer periods of time! Why risk it?

Thanks, Will! I will follow your suggestions. Do you think that the method described before (taking out one of the tubes) is a safe resolution?

-Kornel.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:37 am

I think that Will was really suggesting leaving it be. If you want a reverb tank for another purpose probably the best bet is to buy one specially rather than taking out the one in your RV. Accutronics and Hammond are well known makers. As Will says you'd need the reverb drive and return circuitry too, the tank alone won't do much.

I don't see any real reason why removing that reverb valve should be a problem. Hopefully Will will be able to give us a definite official answer on that though.

So why exactly are you trying to turn your RV.50 into an <b>R.50</b>? Don't you like the reverb in it much? Though it was pretty nice myself, if a bit OTT when set higher.

NDH. (Rocker + [<b>R.30</b>!]) :D

Will Loftin
Orange Technical Manager

Post by Will Loftin » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:16 pm

You can remove the reverb valve, it will not cause a problem to do so.
Will Loftin
Technical Manager
Orange Music Electronic Co

kornel

Post by kornel » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:05 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by a.hun</i>

So why exactly are you trying to turn your RV.50 into an <b>R.50</b>? Don't you like the reverb in it much? Though it was pretty nice myself, if a bit OTT when set higher.

NDH. (Rocker + [<b>R.30</b>!]) :D

a.hun, I love the reverb, I really do. I'm just turning my RV50 combo into an RV50 head, I guess now you understand me... the RV50combo uses the long,6-spring Accutronics tank. I tried to move it to a new enclosure, but it produces a loud humming. So the only solutions would be:
a) say goodbye to reverb (which I really don't want to do, but I was thinking that there was no alternative)

or

b) make a separate enclosure for the reverb tank and keep it in a safe distance from the transformator (about 30cm should do it)

or

c) buy the short Accoutronics reverb tank and rebias the amp to use it.

The best solution from the sonic point of view is "b" - I love the current sound that I get with the long reverb tank, but it's just so uncomfortable to always have to carry a separate 'cab' for the reverb...

I just wanted to know what if there's a show where I don't need the reverb and don't feel like taking it with me, could I just leave it at home. Now I think that I'll just carry another enclosure with me and that's it.

Thanks for all the help and opinions!
-Kornel, a reverb fan (a fan of reverb, that is:)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:27 am

Gotcha. That all makes sense kornel.

I like reverb too. My own experience with my '63 RI Fender tank though is that it is <i>unbelievably</i> sensitive to external vibrations. Like even walking across a springy floor can set off loud crashes, and any accidental knocks can be ear shattering if the amp is set loud. Putting it on a bit of Astroturf does help isolate it a lot, but I'd still be very reluctant to use it live for that reason. Soundwise though it is fantastic!

Happily for me the recent EH Holy Grail <i>Plus</i> sounds so good that I'm totally sorted. It may be digital, but so are some of the best sounding studio reverbs like Lexicons etc. I'm no purist - if it works it works and the HG+ totally does it for me! 8)

NDH. (Rocker + reverb) :D