a little problem

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

aussie

Post by aussie » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:21 pm

hi people

the other night i was at rehearsal playing merrily at a highish volume when suddenly for no reason i lost most of my volume. even though my amp was turned way up i could barely hear anything. i unplugged my pedalboard and stuck my guitar straight in and still no good. i turned off my amp for a while and then tried again . .. still no good. any idea's?

thanks heaps,
aussie

VintageJon
Rocker

Post by VintageJon » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:39 am

Evenin Mate!
You need to determine if it's a speaker or an amp problem.

Have you hooked it up to another speaker box?

Could be tube problems, though it's unusual for one to fail in this manner. IF you normally play distorted you may have lost an output tube and not noticed the resuling distortion but just the loss of volume. (I've seen this before with Marshalls and "distortion-only" players.)

Trying new output tubes would prove/disprove this possibility or if
you have a good amp tech he can look at the output on his 'scope and tell if one tube has gone away.

good luck,
Jon

aussie

Post by aussie » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:29 pm

thanks for the tip. i was probably due for a re-valve anyway so have ordered some. will see what happens. i also noticed that one of the output valves didn't seem to be glowing - i'd say that will be the culprit! hopefully i will sort it out as i'm in the studio next week - yowsers.

aussie

Post by aussie » Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:32 pm

hi folks

hmmm - i have just revalved. i've noticed a slight increase in volume but we're still not there. i can still sit in the same room with both gain and master all the way up. what next?

ta
aussie

Davis
Tiny Terror

Post by Davis » Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:45 pm

Check your GZ36 rectifier tube. It controls how much power gets to your amp. The orange light on the front can be on, but no power happenin' if the rectifier tube is no good. Just a thought.

aussie

Post by aussie » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:36 pm

thanks for that - is there any way to tell if the rectifier tube is dead? its glowing and everything. this is such a pain - am booked into the studio to record on monday. i'm stuffed.