replace speaker cable in speaker cabinet

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:41 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jamison162</i>
<br /> Hehehe. We did blind tests and every time the Mulder and Siren II was picked as sounding better. There was 4 cables, Canare, Horizen, Siren II, and Mulder Audio. Canare was picked as the worst sounding cable by everyone. It was very interesting to say the least.

Same goes with guitar cables, George L cables sounds like crap to me, very bright and harsh. I love these Fulltone Golds.

I'm sorry you can't hear the difference, count yourself blessed.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

But did you try any coat hanger wire? :mrgreen:

No, metal hangers are a thing of the past in my household. We use wooden hangers.

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:49 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jamison162</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jamison162</i>
<br /> Hehehe. We did blind tests and every time the Mulder and Siren II was picked as sounding better. There was 4 cables, Canare, Horizen, Siren II, and Mulder Audio. Canare was picked as the worst sounding cable by everyone. It was very interesting to say the least.

Same goes with guitar cables, George L cables sounds like crap to me, very bright and harsh. I love these Fulltone Golds.

I'm sorry you can't hear the difference, count yourself blessed.

But did you try any coat hanger wire? :mrgreen:

No, metal hangers are a thing of the past in my household. We use wooden hangers.

Wooden hangers have better tone; they resonate more naturally. The sound opens up a little more letting the highs shimmer and the mids become creamier. The bass also is a little tighter and adds subtle even-order harmonics.
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:13 am

I may check this out one day if i ever get an oscilloscope. Send an amp into a dummy load using the different brands up for test (the benchmark being simple 2 core electrical flex). There has to be something happening for it to sound different.

Kink Tet
Tiny Terror

Post by Kink Tet » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:30 am

It's all only as good as the solder joints
Feed the Christians to the lions~Caesar

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:14 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Wicks</i>
<br />I may check this out one day if i ever get an oscilloscope. Send an amp into a dummy load using the different brands up for test (the benchmark being simple 2 core electrical flex). There has to be something happening for it to sound different.

I have an oscope and a dummy load, but I don't have a signal generator. It'd be too difficult to spot a difference using a guitar, don't you think?

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:53 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrismathewsjr</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Wicks</i>
<br />I may check this out one day if i ever get an oscilloscope. Send an amp into a dummy load using the different brands up for test (the benchmark being simple 2 core electrical flex). There has to be something happening for it to sound different.

I have an oscope and a dummy load, but I don't have a signal generator. It'd be too difficult to spot a difference using a guitar, don't you think?
Well, keep it simple i say....if i mimick a guitar output from a humbucker straight into an amp i have a perfectly preproducible signal i can use all the way through the experiment. Nothing changes unless i fiddle with the signal generator. You say there is a difference - better tonal ranges across the frequencies then i should see a difference in the traces. If this is the case then i'll go and and invest in some more of those cables. I'm a scientist...i like solid evidence in front of me ;)

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:55 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Wicks</i>

I have ears. That's all the proof I need.

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:15 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jamison162</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon Wicks</i>

But a scientist recognizes that humans are failing individuals who fall pray to snake-oil.

jamison162
Orange Master

Post by jamison162 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:43 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="2" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrismathewsjr</i>

But a scientist recognizes that humans are failing individuals who fall pray to snake-oil.

Those are darn good strings too, I use em.

adamskiuk
Tiny Terror

Post by adamskiuk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:20 pm

wasnt it les paul himself who said "we all hear with our eyes?" looks about right to me :D

playing music is all about feeling and artistic output, If you feel that vintage guitar makes you sound better you probably DO sound better regardless of the actual electronics are probably in worse shape than a new guitar?.

good topic tho Hi Fi boffins spend £££$$£££$'s on cable upgrades so there must be something in it?
Rocker 30, RV 50c, VOX AC15, 76 Les Paul, Eric Johnson SB strat, 57 strat, vox clyde mccoy, ehx small stone, ehx nano LB-1, Boss DD-6 + TR-3.