AD30TC combo speaker wiring....????

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

patrick

Post by patrick » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:54 am

I am trying to change out the speakers in my combo...They are each 16Ohms (a Weber Blue Dog and a Greenback). Now, there are two black wires which go into the plug and an orange wire that is run into nothing....I am assuming the black go + and the orange goes -, however, how many Ohms am I running when wired this way???
Cheers!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:53 pm

I just looked in the back of my AD30TC and that's NOT how it's wired. Left speaker + is black, - is orange; right speaker + is orange, - is black. That's an 16 ohm load with two 8 ohm speakers in series. That's stock BTW. Billy

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:58 pm

The only way it's going to work with your setup is to run the speakers in parallel. One of the black wires needs to go to BOTH pluses while the other black wire goes to BOTH minuses. Then you would have an 8 ohm load. If one of the speakers has double connectors on each + and - all you have to do is send a jumper wire over to the corresponding lug on the other speaker. Billy

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:03 pm

Also, expect a loss in volume since those speakers aren't as efficient as the Vintage 30's that came stock. Those speakers rule in my opinion- way better than the cab with greenbacks that I also have. I'm also concerned that the difference in speakers will also result in you only hearing one of them- because one will probably be louder than the other. Still, it'll be a good experiment and I'm sure everyone who posts here will look forward to hearing how it sounds for you.

patrick

Post by patrick » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:16 pm

Thanks for the advice....I'll try jumping the wires and see how that works out....The Vintage 30's are nice, just a bit off somewhere....If nothing else, I'll buy two 8Ohms and run it as normal...Cheers!