Early (2004) Rockerverb 50 questions

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

RedOrange

Post by RedOrange » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:41 am

I originally posted this to the Community forum, but maybe it should be here. So I am reposting in the Technical forum.

I'm asking for help from anyone who has experience with the early (2004) Rockerverb 50.

I got a used 2004 Rockerverb 50 on ebay. It had the following: Broken reverb tank wires (now fixed), unshielded reverb cable, and Dagnall transformers. I never use reverb, so does that mean I don't need a shielded cable? I have replaced the Dagnall OT and choke with MM, this made a noticable and welcome improvement! The PT seems to be functioning fine, however, would putting a Mercury Magnetics PT help anything? Lastly, I've heard that the early RV50s sometimes suffered from cold solder joints. How can I tell if I have this problem?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
I've got a hand-wired JTM45. It's right next to my Rockerverb 50. They're lovers, not fighters, and they make beautiful music.

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:41 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RedOrange</i>
<br />I never use reverb, so does that mean I don't need a shielded cable?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

If you do use reverb and you find the reverb to be unnecessarily noisy, switching to shielded cables for the reverb connections is a wise first-thing to check on.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RedOrange</i>
<br />I have replaced the Dagnall OT and choke with MM, this made a noticable and welcome improvement! The PT seems to be functioning fine, however, would putting a Mercury Magnetics PT help anything?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Putting in a new PT would do very little, if anything to your amp's functionability. As far as power transformers: if it meets spec's and ain't broke, it's a waste of time and money to replace.

<br />Lastly, I've heard that the early RV50s sometimes suffered from cold solder joints. How can I tell if I have this problem?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

If a solder joint is cold and somehow becomes an intermittent connection, you'll notice some intermittent problems with your amp (no sound, high squeels, or buzzes) - so until that happens, I don't think you'll need to worry.
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

RedOrange

Post by RedOrange » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:00 am

Thanks! The amp sounds fantastic, so I'm ready to rock.
I've got a hand-wired JTM45. It's right next to my Rockerverb 50. They're lovers, not fighters, and they make beautiful music.

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:09 am

<br />Thanks! The amp sounds fantastic, so I'm ready to rock.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Welcome here any time and welcome to the club! :)
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/