Rockerverb 50 and the F8 output tranny...

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Jack71

Post by Jack71 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:32 pm

The Orange website mentions a "new" F8 output transformer for the Rockerverb 50. Is this something new or has the Rockerverb always used this tranny since going with 6v6 power tubes? If not, what year did they make the change?

Janglin_Jack
Orange Hero

Post by Janglin_Jack » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:32 am

I actually replaced my stock transformers, (Demeter Windings from June 2007). I have had excellent results with Mercury Magnetics and they had transformers for the Rockerverb 50. The Demeter I removed has a part number of "OT148SL". I wonder if the F8 is different.

Jack
"...weak with evil and broken by the world."

Jack71

Post by Jack71 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:30 am

Can anyone else shed more light on this subject?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:40 am

My two cents is, could anyone care less about a transformer? I listen to how an amp sounds, I don't look at the specs and wonder whether this tranny will sound better than that tranny- I just LISTEN.

Janglin_Jack
Orange Hero

Post by Janglin_Jack » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:21 am

Transformers are part of the whole. I have built several amps and read many books. I can tell you that a good transfomer can make or break an amp, just as the wrong speakers can. I tried 3 trannies in my JTM45 until I got the right sound with the Radio Spares OT. I can tell you the other transformers sounded great, just different.

Like Billy said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but the right transformers can make or break the amp sound. I think the newer Demeter's are fine, (great). I happen to be partial to Mercury, but the Dememeter sounded very good as well.

Jack
"...weak with evil and broken by the world."

Jack71

Post by Jack71 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:55 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br />My two cents is, could anyone care less about a transformer? I listen to how an amp sounds, I don't look at the specs and wonder whether this tranny will sound better than that tranny- I just LISTEN.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Well that's fine, except I have nothing to listen to at the moment. I don't own an RV50 yet. That's my point though, I don't know the history of the RV50. Has it always used the F8 tranny? And if not, why the change? I don't have the opportunity to "just listen", so I have to rely on the opinions of others who have and take a leap of faith.

Still no answer to my original question though...

AllenJ

Post by AllenJ » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:16 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jack71</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br />My two cents is, could anyone care less about a transformer? I listen to how an amp sounds, I don't look at the specs and wonder whether this tranny will sound better than that tranny- I just LISTEN.

Well that's fine, except I have nothing to listen to at the moment. I don't own an RV50 yet. That's my point though, I don't know the history of the RV50. Has it always used the F8 tranny? And if not, why the change? I don't have the opportunity to "just listen", so I have to rely on the opinions of others who have and take a leap of faith.

Still no answer to my original question though...

Jack71,

I have listened to both the new RV50's and the older ones with MM tranies and both sound great. You won't regret either one IMO.

Allen

Jack71

Post by Jack71 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:17 am

Thanks Allen. Have the RV50's always had 6v6 powertubes?

AllenJ

Post by AllenJ » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:54 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jack71</i>
<br />Thanks Allen. Have the RV50's always had 6v6 powertubes?

The one I played 2 years ago and the one I played last week both had 6V6 tubes.......