Yet another impedance question..

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

BayofPigs
Orange Hero

Post by BayofPigs » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:55 am

Hi guys, I just got an Orange 1x15 cabinet and it sounds surprisingly good for guitar. I tried it using my Rockerverb 50, OR120, and my Matamp Legend 120.

The Matamp and Rocker sounded pretty good, but the OR120 sounded like poop. (The amp needs new tubes and some TLC from a good tech, but that is a story for another day.)

My band has a show this weekend at a small bar and I was curious if there would be any way I could run the 8 ohm 15" cab and my 16 ohm 12" cab at the same time.

From the research I did the total load would be 5.33. I am not sure if I am going to use the Matamp or the Rocker yet.

So if this is safe would I use the 8 ohm output on the Rocker into the 15" cab and then daisy chain it to the 12" cab?

If I used the Matamp, I already have two tubes pulled so when I hooked up into the 15"cab I bumped the impedence to 4 ohms, would it still be possible to use the Matamp in the same configuration I am thinking about with the Rocker?
Orange OR120
Matamp Legend 120
Matamp 4x12
Fender Jazzmaster
www.myspace.com/tommyjarvisband

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:25 pm

You are right, the 16 and 8 ohm loads in parallel --> 5.333 ohms total. That is a moderate low mismatch from an 8 ohm output and should be okay. You'll lose a little power, change the tone a shade and run your power valves a little harder than normal. But if you're playing a small venue you shouldn't have to push the amp too hard and it really shouldn't be any problem.

(Never any 100% guarantees mind! ;))

Yeah, right again with the Matamp. Two valves pulled means you would want to run from the 4 ohm output instead of the 8 ohm one as it effectively becomes an 8 ohm output when only running two valves. :)

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.