more clean headroom fromTinyTerror please

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

stemiles90

Post by stemiles90 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:18 pm

Could anyone reccommend some new valves to use as the problem is when its gain is above 12 it gets too dirty for my liking.I prefer its more vox like garage type vibe with gain at 11 and volume on about 3'0clock.Also i'm fairly new to this but am wondering why at these settings its no louder when i switch from 7 to 15 watts but am guessing this is prob more noticeable when the gain is on full.CHEERS in advance:)

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:35 am

One of the most common things to do when looking for headroom is to experiment with different preamp valves/types.

A common thing to do is to swap out the 12AX7s for a relatively lower gain tube, such as a 12AT7 or 12AU7.

If you use the forum search function, you may come across a table that has acceptable preamp tube types and their relative gain factor.

<b>http://cydathria.com/fdm/12AX7_sub.html</b> might have it, I can't see it from work!
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

Daion_Power

Post by Daion_Power » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi

I replaced the preamp tubes with 12AT7 for the very same reason. I thought the distortion was a bit to fizzy and harsh. I also needed a little bit more clean headroom. The 12AT7 took care of both problems. Now I have a real warm sounding amp with smooth bluesy distortion. I also use MXR Dynacomp, Micro Amp and Electro Harmonix Holy Grail in the signal chain before the amp. 8)

/Stefan

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:12 am

Most of the time, lower gain pre-amp tubes only give the illusion of more headroom. You can get the same affect by turning down the gain (in a MV amp). Though they will change the gain structure of the pre-amp slightly, and consequently the tone.

A 15W tube amp will never have any type of appreciable headroom to speak of. Your best bet is to use a more efficient speaker, so you get more perceived volume per watt.

-Nick

P.S. This method comes from non-MV amps, where the pre-amp distorts more (or before) the power amp. In these types of amps, you can squeeze some more headroom out of it with lower gain pre-amp tubes. In a MV amp, IMO, they're little help, and it's only an illusion that you're getting more headroom out of it.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Daion_Power

Post by Daion_Power » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:03 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br />Most of the time, lower gain pre-amp tubes only give the illusion of more headroom. You can get the same affect by turning down the gain (in a MV amp). Though they will change the gain structure of the pre-amp slightly, and consequently the tone.

A 15W tube amp will never have any type of appreciable headroom to speak of. Your best bet is to use a more efficient speaker, so you get more perceived volume per watt.

-Nick

P.S. This method comes from non-MV amps, where the pre-amp distorts more (or before) the power amp. In these types of amps, you can squeeze some more headroom out of it with lower gain pre-amp tubes. In a MV amp, IMO, they're little help, and it's only an illusion that you're getting more headroom out of it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Well, illution or not - I still got a smoother sounding amp that, with this placebo effect, at least feels like it has more clean headroom and I like it when things feels good 8)

/Stefan

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:43 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Daion_Power</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fiveightandten</i>
<br />Most of the time, lower gain pre-amp tubes only give the illusion of more headroom. You can get the same affect by turning down the gain (in a MV amp). Though they will change the gain structure of the pre-amp slightly, and consequently the tone.

-Nick

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b>Well, illution or not - I still got a smoother sounding amp that, with this placebo effect, at least feels like it has more clean headroom and I like it when things feels good</b> 8)

/Stefan
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">The 12AT7 does change the tone too - as Nick was suggesting. Generally you'll get less mids, with more emphasis on the top and bottom ends. This has the (often desirable) effect of increasing note definition and clarity, which I think is exactly what you are hearing.

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.