EL 84's for AD15/12

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Pacomc

Post by Pacomc » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:54 pm

Hey Everybody I just bought my first orange yesterday, needless to say I played all night last night and had a hard time leaving it to go to bed. I was wondering of any of you in the old guard out there might know if its possible to get an EL 84 with a little more headroom than the stock sovteks. I love the natural breakup and I don't want much more I just want a little more volume. Perhaps changing the preamp tubes from 12AX7's to 12AT7's or 12AU7's could do the trick? It's not really a big deal but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with that sort of thing. Also, my Orange is eventually going to be my overdrive amp in a dual amp set up with Fender Vibrolux. Does anyone know of an amp switcher that is not a noisy ground looping peace of ass? Thanks.

I wanna dip my balls in it!!!!

chrissy

Post by chrissy » Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:22 am

Last question first. I can thoroughly recommend the Lehle Dual www.lehle.com for a/b and a+b switching - dead quiet and built like a tank.

On the tube side I put some NOS JAN Philips ECG in my Bad Cat amp ato do what you're describing - a bit pricy but good. RCA are also known for clean headroom. Of the current tubes I think you should try the Ei Elites. www.tube-shop.com

ecto coolest
Rocker

Post by ecto coolest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:37 pm

framptone amp switcher, expensive but just what you need.
1971 OR120 (Plexi Panel, Big Pix Only)
1994 Fender Jaguar (Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, Gibson Nashville Bridge)
2002 PPC412 (British V30s)

Pacomc

Post by Pacomc » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:45 pm

Thanks Fellows.
In my search I found a small electronics company that makes AB boxes and custom effects loop boxes called Looper.com They look top notch and Robert Keeley recommended them so I assume they are quality a few less buck than the Framptone and the Lehle but thanks a lot for your help.

I wanna dip my balls in it!!!!

VintageJon
Rocker

Post by VintageJon » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:57 am

Highly recommend JJ EL84's. THe absolute best current production
EL84.

Also your concept of experimenting with various preamp tubes is
very valid. 5751,12AT7,12AU7 for a real drop, 12AY7, 12AZ7,
12BH7, all come to mind for V1.

Try a 12AT7 on V2, see if you like it.

Good Luck, May Th Tone Be With You-
Jon

deforest

Post by deforest » Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:51 am

As far as that A/B switch I use a fairly inexpensive Morley. So does Brian Setzer. It is a totaly mechnical switch. It uses a battery just for the LED's. Mine is dead quiet. I use it with a Vibro-King and a 70's Vibrolux reverb. Sometimes the 'B' channel is used for a tuner off my Orange AD30R. It is an essential part of my setup.
-DeForest