Orange 0TR 80 impedance

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

marmalade

Post by marmalade » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:47 pm

After reading various internet rumours, and not being much of a technician i was wondering if my amp is "plugged in" wrongly.

There is a little coin adjustable Ohm selector which has 4/8/16 on it, its currently on 8. Both the speakers are plugged into output one of two and they are 8 Ohm celestion vintage 30s.

Is it all in the right place or do i need to change anything pronto?

Any information would be wonderfull.

Cheers.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:58 pm

Unless you only have 2 positions marked on your selector, or there's a sticker over the original chassis lettering to relabel the positions...

Run it on 4 ohms into that cab.

Orange designed the '80W'ers with an inherent impedence mismatch because they used the same transformers as the '120W'ers.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Both the speakers are plugged into output one of two and they are 8 Ohm celestion vintage 30s.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>Just to clarify, is this a 2 x 12 cab / combo with two 8 ohm speakers inside, or is the whole cab / combo rated at 8 ohms?

If it's the whole cab, then I believe 5/8/10 is right, run on the 4 ohms setting.

If not, we'd need to know just how the speakers are wired up - could total 4 ohms (but probably won't!), or 16 ohms (in which case you'd have to run it on the 8 ohms setting due to that daft 'mismatch').

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.