orange120

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

wolves

Post by wolves » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:12 pm

i let someone use my amp for a show. i noticed that he seemed quieter than i usually do, but i thought he must have just turned down a little. now i have a suspicion that he plugged into the wrong output. when i went to use it(right after him) i found the speaker cable plugged into the middle output. it is unlabled so i don't exactly know what it is. i do know however that it is not either of the speaker outputs. i used it for that show and it seemed fine. the next day we played again and i had to switch my ohms selector since i was playing through a different cab. when i started playing my fuse blew right away. it keeps blowing fuses as of right now and i don't want to push it. i've recieved some information on this through a friend, but i was hoping someone else could help me also. i'm afraid it is going to cost me a lot of money to fix.

so if anyone knows what could be blowing the fuses i would like some help.

ecto coolest
Rocker

Post by ecto coolest » Wed Oct 23, 2002 9:10 pm

if by the "middle output" you mean the 1/4" jack located in the center of the back panel, as opposed to the 2 speaker outputs located on the right side (facing the back), then whoever used your amp connected the cabinet through the slave out, which is a non-powered preamp signal designed to go to the power section of a SLAVE head to power additional speaker cabinets using the preamp section of one head.

i'm no expert, but i think it was quieter because there was no power behind the signal going to the speaker cabinet to push the speakers. also, there was no load on your transformers, since the speaker cabinet was not connected to the speaker outputs, and playing any tube amp without a load can blow up the amp.

if you are talking about a vintage orange, you might just have the wrong size fuse in there. old oranges are labeled 3amp fuse for the power supply and 1amp fuse for the tubes. this is for European voltages though, so if you are in the states you need a 5amp fuse for the power supply, but still a 1amp fuse for the tubes. you didnt specify which fuse you were blowing.

hopefully you just have the wrong fuse, so check that first. if not, then i would immediately take it to a tech and hope for the best.

eric
1971 OR120 (Plexi Panel, Big Pix Only)
1994 Fender Jaguar (Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, Gibson Nashville Bridge)
2002 PPC412 (British V30s)