what can i do to reduce the output power???

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

wllieplanas

Post by wllieplanas » Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:59 pm

hi,,i own an otr 120, and i usually play gigs in small places... and i always have the same problem 'cause i have to turn the volume really down and it doesn't sound good. i would like to know if it's possible to take 2 tubes out and reduce the power to work at 60 w r.m.s. I know that exixst valve atenuators like " ruby" or "hot plate"..but i would like to know firs what options do i have.
thanks. willie planas. spain

otr 120
otr 120

davin

Post by davin » Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:19 am

That will cut your power by 1/2, but you won't notice a dramatic change. There's a big difference in something with 1/2 the output watts and something that <b>sounds</b> like 1/2 the output watts. In general, for something to sound 1/2 as loud, you need about 1/10th of the power. You'd probably be better-served by some of Orange's lower-wattage amps. Running two tubes will work, sort of, but I wouldn't do it with my amp. If you insist on trying it, though, remove only the inner or outer pair of tubes, and make sure you also adjust your impedance selector as well, i.e. if your cab is 16 ohm, set the amp to 8 because your load will now be imbalanced if you don't.

http://wood.cncdsl.com/QD.htm

VintageJon
Rocker

Post by VintageJon » Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:19 am

What Darvin said.

Alternative Idea- put some kind of baffle in front of the cab.
A pillow, hang a rug over it,have 2 groupies sit in front of it, whatever is at hand...

-Jon

jason fisher

Post by jason fisher » Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:07 am

I have the AD30R and AD1512. Both are great depending on the size of club you play and how loud your band is. I play in a loud rock band and find the AD1512 to be sufficient in clubs as long as it is miked up. The AD30R is sufficient for large stages and even outdoors. I have used it at outdoor events and cranked it all the way up and it was still really loud and clear. If I really want to be too loud, which I have, I will run both amps together. Hope that will help.

jason
jason

reggieisadork

Post by reggieisadork » Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:32 pm

Try a THD Hotplate. Make sure to get one with Ohms that match your amp output AND cab. You can run your amp cranked and drop the signal to the speakers to negative infinity if you want. Most of them give you a line out and/or another ext. out. Good luck.
~Reggie

~Reggie
~Reggie