Dead AD15

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

skrzyp
Tiny Terror

Post by skrzyp » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:18 pm

My AD15 doesn't power up. The rectifier glows, but the power light doesn't come on and the other tubes don't glow at all.

I checked the fuses, which seem OK, changed out the rectifier and power tubes, but no effect.

I've seen similar posts, but reading through the past responses, didn't see any answers. Thanks for any advice.

Simon Wicks
Orange Master

Post by Simon Wicks » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:18 pm

First off, change the bulb in your lamp. I believe the AD15 has a jewel lamp like old Fenders.

Can yuo tell us what happened prior to the amp not working? Was it gigged hard? Could it of been damaged in anyway?

skrzyp
Tiny Terror

Post by skrzyp » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:34 pm

Thanks for the reply. It ended up coming back to life, and I'm not sure why. It has been sitting in my house the whole time, so rough handling shouldn't be the issue.

I tried changing out all the tubes, messing with all the connections, checking fuses, etc. It just came back on! I have the tubes in it that were in place before this happened, and it's working fine.

I still can't explain it, but I'm happy to have it back. Maybe one of the tubes was loose, but I checked for this first...

skrzyp
Tiny Terror

Post by skrzyp » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:25 am

This ended up happening again so I took the amp to a tech (Erik Miller of Euthymia in Alalmeda, CA). He diagnosed the problem as a loose connection in the 6v heater circuit (right next to the base of the rectifier tube socket). It's fixed!

Just thought this info might be useful if anyone else has a similar problem.

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 am

It seems kind of strange that the pilot light would not come on if the heater circuit had a loose connection.
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

skrzyp
Tiny Terror

Post by skrzyp » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:29 am

Erik showed me the issue, and it turns out that at that location (next to the rectifier) in the AD15, a broken connection cuts off power in the 6v circuit all the way down the line after the rectifier (including the power light).

chrismathewsjr
Orange Master

Post by chrismathewsjr » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:39 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skrzyp</i>
<br />Erik showed me the issue, and it turns out that at that location (next to the rectifier) in the AD15, a broken connection cuts off power in the 6v circuit all the way down the line after the rectifier (including the power light).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Well, problem solved then. :D
'74 Orange OR120 w/Contemporary Avatar 4x12 V30s
'04 Orange AD30 w/Traditional Avatar 2x12 w/G12H30s

http://www.jooniorstudios.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/chrismathewsjr/

Electric Warrior

Re: Dead AD15

Post by Electric Warrior » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:05 pm

I keep having the same problem. Won't power up, only rectifier lights up and no power light. Had it fixed twice (the problem was a solder joint) and now it broke for a third time. Any advice on this? What does my tech need to do to permanently fix this issue??

jontheid
Orange Expert

Re: Dead AD15

Post by jontheid » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:10 am

I thought this sounded like a heater wire issue!
To get the problem permanently fixed you need the tech to hard wire ALL the heater connections.
Cheers,
Jon