OR80 or AD30?

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Air Norton

Post by Air Norton » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:09 am

Hi, I'm new here. What are the differencies between an OR80 of the 1975 and a Modern AD30 each one combo version? Thank you fevy much for the attention eand the support!!!
Why should I make you sing when I can make you cry?

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:23 am

The OR-80 is tighter, more aggressive, more bass heavy, and has a more prickly sound to it. It's louder, breaks up more abruptly and the tone controls make it useable over a wider envelope of sounds. Many pf them don't have master volume controls, but even with the master, it's not very useable at low volumes. You need to crank it up in order to get the most out of it.

The AD-30 has more sag to the pick attack, it's a wetter, warmer, more saturated sounding amp. It breaks up earlier, more evenly, and isn't as loud. It doesn't have as much low end, and is a little less aggressive sounding. It has a master volume, and is more useable at lower volumes due to the decent master and the earlier breakup of the EL-84's.

It's really a matter of personal preference. I prefer the older Oranges, so i'd prefer the OR-80 personally. But there are a lot of people that prefer the newer Oranges as well.

You can't really go wrong with either amp, it's like picking what good is gooder.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:47 am

Try and have a play around with both of them (preferably in the same place, using the same guitar) and listen to your ears. As Nick said, you wouldn't be disappointed with either.

Don't tell me the best way, just tell me the cheapest way...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Air Norton

Post by Air Norton » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:39 pm

Well, thank you very much for the support, now let's talk in practical terms: i play noise/alternative rock and i tried an AD30 in a music store. I really enjoyed it but recently i've found an OR80 of the 1975. Which should work best for my needs? Thank you very much again!!

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:41 pm

Is volume an issue? How loud is your band?
I'd get both if I had the chance.

Air Norton

Post by Air Norton » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:50 am

Well, Meole, the band has a highly dinamic playing style so, sometimes, we have to create "walls of sound". In this sense, sometimes volume is an issue, or better, a need. Which between AD30 and OR80 is the most comfortable for me?

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:02 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Well, Meole, the band has a highly dinamic playing style so, sometimes, we have to create "walls of sound". In this sense, sometimes volume is an issue, or better, a need. Which between AD30 and OR80 is the most comfortable for me?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

The OR-80 is a louder, more aggressively voiced amp. And also, with that amp, you can very easy have a tech install 2 more tube sockets to make it an OR-120. This is what I did with my OR-80.

But if the amp doesn't have a master volume, like we said above, you will need to play it quite loud for it to distort.

That being said...we can't tell you which amp to buy. You have access to both of them...play both amps and let your ears decide for you. Again, you can't go wrong with either amp...but to me it sounds like the OR-80 may be a little more up your alley.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

thriftyshirt
Tiny Terror

Post by thriftyshirt » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:14 pm

It depends if you are using a lot of effects as well.

When you say "wall of sound" and "experimental noise" i think of lots of effects and overdrive probably coming from pedals and not amp distortion.

If this is the case, and you want to use pedals or other devices to manipulate a clean sound, get the OR80 which will give you much more clean headroom to play with.

If what you play is mostly distortion and don't rely on a a very loud clean sound, i would recommend the AD30. It will break up earlier and with the master you can get heavily overdriven sounds at a manageable volume.

The 30 and the 80 won't have a huge amount of volume difference. The main difference will be that the 30 will crunch without blowing you eardrums, and the 80 will stay clean much louder than the 30 will.

www.thefreakinhott.com

Air Norton

Post by Air Norton » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:12 pm

Thank you again, now I think that the best for me should be the OR80 because, as shirty said, my distortions comes from pedals and not from a cranked up amp. Another choice could be a Vox AC30 (sorry Orange Amps!!) what do you think about? OR80 for the rest of my life?

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Thank you again, now I think that the best for me should be the OR80 because, as shirty said, my distortions comes from pedals and not from a cranked up amp. Another choice could be a Vox AC30 (sorry Orange Amps!!) what do you think about? OR80 for the rest of my life?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

I also own a Vox AC-30. Actually, I have an AC-50 head too. And the Orange OR-80, and an Orange OR-120.

You definitely can't go wrong with an AC-30. Along with the single channel Marshall JCM800's, the Vox AC-30 is the most played amp of all time. There's a reason for that. They sound FANTASTIC. I can't pick a favorite between the AC-30 and the OR-80. They're both great amps, but they do completely different things.

You can't go wrong with any of those (AD-30, AC-30, or OR-80)...but to me it sounds like the OR-80 would be your deal. Forget the pedals my friend...just crank the thing up and LISTEN...you won't be dissappointed. AC-30 is a kcick ass amp though, I really think you just need to find these amps and play them.

-Nick

spoonie g
Orange Master

Post by spoonie g » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:26 am

I just ordered an Ac-30 handwired edition; I cannot wait to get it. Ac-30's are probably the most versatile amp made IMHO. They sound excellent clean or dirty, and even best in-between.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:08 pm

I just ordered an Ac-30 handwired edition; I cannot wait to get it. Ac-30's are probably the most versatile amp made IMHO. They sound excellent clean or dirty, and even best in-between.

Oh god...you need to put together some pics and clips of that one my friend. :eek:

I haven't played a HW, but from what I hear they sound fantastic. I simply can't imagine how it could sound better than a TBX. I love my TBX, the thing sounds so freaking good. You just can't mess with those things.

Let us know how it works out for ya! Congrads!

-Nick

mpisarcik
Orange Master

Post by mpisarcik » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:51 am

do you think that the Blue speakers make a big difference vs. the greenbacks, 5/8&10?

also, i hear a rattling coming from my ac30 sometimes on certain notes. is it the tubes? Just put new JJ's in 2 months ago.

if so, would the new GT Mullards stop this problem?
What kind of tubes do you use?
thanks.

"But I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

mpisarcik
Orange Master

Post by mpisarcik » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:54 am

Also, what kind of drive pedals do you use with your ac30's?
I have a vintage rat. sounds pretty good.
what else would you recommend for moderate levels of distortion (think u2/coldplay/pinkfloyd/oasis)

Also, I want to get an ORANGE AD30R soon. How do you think it would sound with the AC30? AC30 being my clean amp, Orange my dirty.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:14 am

do you think that the Blue speakers make a big difference vs. the greenbacks, 5/8&10?

also, i hear a rattling coming from my ac30 sometimes on certain notes. is it the tubes? Just put new JJ's in 2 months ago.

if so, would the new GT Mullards stop this problem?
What kind of tubes do you use?
thanks.

The blues are fantastic sounding speakers. Probably some of the best sounding speakers i've ever heard. I put them right up there with the Greenbacks in my buddy's '71 Marshall basketweave 4x12, and the 75W Fanes in my Hiwatt 4x12's.

In comparison to the greenbacks, they have a smoother top end, the mids are more woody, and the speaker is a bit more defined all around. The difference is actually pretty subtle, and where it stands out the most is in a band situation, believe it or not. The blues are a bit more efficient, and since the top end is smooother, the tend to cut through more clearly and sound a little less harsh.

All that being said though, the greenbacks are great sounding speakers for that amp. I don't think i'd say that the blues are $250 BETTER than the greenbacks. I prefer the blues, but not so much that i'd be able to justify the ungodly cost. They're nice...but overpriced, IMO.

Assuming that you're talking about a mechanical rattle and not something that you can hear through the speakers...The rattling is probably the spring retainer on the rectifier tube. Mine did it pretty bad, only when I hit an E or a B though. I got some High temp RTV silicon sealant and put a ring around the tube itself. It shut that retainer right up, as it has nothing but the softer RTV sealant to vibrate against now. Worked great.

It could also be the EL-84 retianers...but i've never heard mine rattling. Just that damn rectifier retainer.

I use nothing but Ei tubes in my AC-30. I tried the JJ's, which I liked. But I always have reliability issues with them, and one of them shorted out in the amp after 2 weeks. They were a bit fuller sounding and warmer than the Ei's. But the Ei's are more clear, brighter, and have more texture to them. They chime more too. I also tried the Sovteks, which were OK...but both the JJ's and the Ei's sounded better.

Hope that helps.

-Nick