Fixed Bias

Orange Amps Technical Q&A's

Moderator: bclaire

Bern_397

Post by Bern_397 » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:56 pm

Hello,

I've got an Orange OR 80 Combo (1975).
Does it need to be Biased. What is "Fixed Bias"?

Thanks.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:27 pm

Hi again, Bern 397.

Yes it does need biased.
Ironically 'fixed' bias means that it <i>can</i> be adjusted(!), but a tech will possibly have to replace one or more resistor(s) inside or twiddle a trim pot (if fitted) to do this.

The other type of biasing system is called 'cathode biasing', and is designed to allow tubes to be changed without always having to rebias the amp. There is some leeway built in for different valves. But it has drawbacks too. It's less power efficient - so power loss is a problem, and it is usually only seen on lower powered amps. The Vox AC30 and the Orange AD30 are examples that do use this system.

For some more info, check these out:
http://www.aikenamps.com/ (Tech info section. This is nice and clear stuff, mainly...)

http://aga.rru.com (FAQs section. A bit more detail.)

Hope that helps, and feel free to keep asking away. That's why we're here!

Andy.

Edited by - Andy H. on 13 Sep 2004 19:28:26
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
But it has drawbacks too. It's less power efficient - so power loss is a problem, and it is usually only seen on lower powered amps. The Vox AC30 and the Orange AD30 are examples that do use this system.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

One thing i've never understood is how the AC-30 is so freaking loud. The AD-30 too. But my AC-30 is even, volume-wise with a Peavey Classic 100 head I had a while back (8 fixed biased EL-84's). It's as loud as a 50W JCM800. I'm curious to put that amp on the scope and see what it's actually putting out. I may do that sometime this week.

I think a lot of the "lowered" powered EL-84 based amps have low valued coupling caps and concentrate on useing their output power to ampify midrange and treble frequencies, not wasting power on low end response.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:49 am

Yeah, let us know what you find. I'd be quite interested in trying to mod my AD30 to get a little more low end out of it, even if it was at the expense of some volume.

Don't tell me the best way, just tell me the cheapest way...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...